Alabama class B training

csny42

Seasoned Expediter
Hello to all. I've been reading from this forum for a few months to keep from reinventing the wheel. There is a wealth of great information here for those new to the expediting business and my thanks to all who contribute. My question today is--does anyone have any knowledge of any individual or school providing class B licensing with endorsements or a school willing to rent trainer/truck for training and testing in Alabama. I have the option of going through a school but the $3500 seems like a large investment x2(my wife and myself) although I have read the arguments for just getting a class A. My wife would like to attend the school and I encourage that since she is more comfortable with that format and will also be able to learn logging and other specifics. I, however, would like to investigate a less expensive option if possible. Thanks to anyone who replies. csny42

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
If I were you I would hook up with a large truckload carrier, get them to pay for school and train you, and then you and your wife can run team. Maybe by then things will have steadied out a little bit. I have heard good things about Roehl (pronounced rail). I have also heard good things about Stephens Transport. If nothing else it is something to look into. You can never be to informed when making a big decision.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
That's a good idea, but keep in mind there will be a commitment to drive for whoever pays for your training, for a certain length of time before you'll be able to leave freely. If you go for the training through an accredited driver school, it usually counts for 3 years experience, as far as insurance.
Or you could pay for one of you to take a training course, which would give you more freedom, sign on with a carrier who has a program in place for the spouse to be trained (I think Panther might have something like that?).
Most carriers require some experience though, best to make some calls to a bunch of carriers and training centres before making a decision. Find out all your options so you won't have any regrets later.