Airtabs

ATCO

Expert Expediter
I have ran across a product, and am curious what the general take is for it.

The product is called "Airtabs". From what I can see it ceates a false aerodynamic profile for trucks. The cost seems reasonable as well, at $200+, for enough to do a truck...

the website is http://www.airtab.com/

Please let me know if anyone has used them? Or seen them? Whould like to try them? Or even if you think it's a good idea?

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They look interesting. I'll try them when they give them to me and provide a critique afterward.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I know of several trucks that are outfitteed with Air Tabs and they work. Not a huge gain, 1/4 to 1/2 mpg and keeps the back of the truck cleaner. Go figure, a product that actually works, amazing!

ATCO

Expert Expediter
>They look interesting. I'll try them when they give them to
>me and provide a critique afterward.
>
>Leo
>truck 767
>
>Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you
>like.

Leo,
Have you gotten them yet?

-Joe Bohannon
Bakersfield, CA
(New B, Researching)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>I know of several trucks that are outfitteed with Air Tabs
>and they work. Not a huge gain, 1/4 to 1/2 mpg and keeps the
>back of the truck cleaner. Go figure, a product that
>actually works, amazing!

Glen,

Is that fuel economy gain for straight trucks or tractor/trailers? I saw a Tri State straight truck with Air Tabs on it a while ago. It looked different than the pictures convey. The tabs were less intrusive than I thought they would be.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
After much discussion, I am re-convinced that the Nosecone deflector mounted on the box front, is the best way to go. Everything else, including whale tails (Pete) or Turbo-Wings still allows turbulence in the area between the device and the box, creating drag and loss of fuel economy. A Turbo-wing may work on certain flat-bed rigs, etc., but does nothing to dampen crosswinds.
I just ordered mine: only 18" high and 79" wide, should just fit above my sleeper & left of Qual-Com. At today's fuel prices even a 5% gain, and it should pay for itself in 8 months. Bon adventure...;)

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Simon,

Do you have a straight truck or T/T? If you have a straight truck - would you mind snapping a few digital photos to share with the forum members?

I think everyone would like to see and hear they before and after effects of the Cone.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------