Air Top 2000 - Air Heater

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We are searching for options for providing heat to our sleeper without having to operate the engine or spend $7,000+ on a generator. One of the heaters we have been told about is a Hebasto Air Top 2000 - Air Heater. This diesel fueled unit is installed in one of the luggage compartments. It is said to provide from 3100 - 7000 btu's and to operate @ 20 hours on 1 gallon of diesel. The installed cost is about $1200. Has anyone had any experience with one of these units? Thanks, Larry.

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Did you ever install it? Am curious. Looking for something to heat the sleeper to.
Randy:)

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Lawrence: Thanks for the information. Do you know of anyone that has experience with the different units? I have been unable to locate anyone that is using something other than the generator/heater/ac combination units. I already have a small (2500w) Honda generator that I plan to plug into my F70 during the coldest (below 15 degrees) of nights. I had a 2'x2'x4' box mounted under the truck and hope to use the gas generator, leaving the door slightly opened. However, the generator is not that convienent for everyday use.

Thanks, Larry.

P.S. I's still mulling over putting together information for perspective expeditors. (Is the bumper sticker on the way???)

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Heat Solutions..Even For B Units

Hello Larry,

There is another product that has surfaced again and was not in the article by Jeff. It's called the ThermeX Whisper Heater Blower.

For their literature it says:

Thermex Whisper Heaters are just small radiators with a fan that takes heat from the engine cooling system and circulates that heat throughout the cabin. A tiny heater the size of a toaster can warm the entire truck.
http://www.thermex.com/images/graf4.gif
The pump provided with your heater will circulate engine coolant even after the engine has been stopped using stored engine heat for long-lasting warmth. Thermex manufactures a complete line of marine heaters and maritime furnace systems from small boats to large ships -including motorhomes, busses and trucks.

Whisper 3 Heater Blower

3.2 KW (11,000 BTU's)
5.75" wide, 9.5" deep and 6 5/8" high
5/8 ID heater hose
3 speed heater switch
4 Amp draw max.

http://www.thermex.com/images/heater.jpg

This system runs from the plumbing on your engine, looks like you will need a marine battery to keep the blower powered.

Thanks,
Lawrence

PS Yes, plan to have new sticker soon ;-) I'll make sure they are available to everyone on the Forum...first!

Bucky

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Heat Solutions..Even For B Units

I was wondering where can you purchase the Thermex Whisper Heater?

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Heat Solutions..Even For B Units

If the ambient temperature is below 20 degrees, how long would a unit like this be able to pull heat off of the truck engine? It would seem to me that on bitter cold nights you would have to be repeatedly starting the engine to provide heat for the blower.