air leak...I think?

G

im hearing air leak constantly from the yellow knob that you press in
i guess thats an air leak obviously, anybody ever had that problem and what was the prognosses im sure i mispelled that word sorry

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am going to assume that is your parking brake valve. You will need to get it replaced as small leaks turn into big leaks at the worst possible moment.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It may not be your parking brake valve. We had a similar problem and after replacing the parking brake valve still had the apparent leaking "sound". What in fact was happening the rear "pancake" was the brake leaking. We replaced both of the those in the rear of the truck...no more leaking.

We were told it is not uncommon for people to think it is the parking brake valve leaking...lol

-mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What ever it turns out to be ,you should get it fixed asap. You do not want to lose all your air pressure at 2am on Van :censoredsign: when the bars are closing.

KeepRollin

Expert Expediter
PANther2,
The air may be leaking where the tubes connect to the parking brake valve. You could open up the dash and spray a little soapy water on the valve and see if that is where the leak is. If this is where the leak is and you have enough tube cut about 1/2" of the tube off and reseat it in the push lock fitting.

Hope this helps
Todd

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
PANther2-

I am curious as to what your leak was from. I looked at my response and realized it looks like a crazy answer but this is what happened with our truck as the exhaust traveled back into the parking valve. Thus; it sounded like parking valve was leaking.

-mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

babs3361

Expert Expediter
for us it has always been the pancake leaking check both tractor and trailer if you drive t/t it can be either one

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
i got a good idea about this one just had the exact same issue in my truck thought of every possible thing the yellow knob was first thought so replaced it 125.00 bucks thught air lines to the knob 3hours pulling it apart in the truck stop parking lot just to find no leak in dash in any line was talking to my brother in law he had the same problem when he was driving for a food delivery company in an international so me being in a freightliner i didnt pay much attention to him when he said check the air brake cannister i know sounds crazy that a rear air cannister could be making all the leaky air nose in the dash so i went ta and and told the i had a air leak in the dash he came listend for about 2 seconds and said it the air cannister for the brake 150.00 bucks more but wala the noise is gone and i maintain air preesure now. just my story but every word true have them checked theres one at each brake assembly front and back.

p.s. do u only hear air when the knob is in and not out?

p.s. i swore to god it was the air brake knob(the yellow button)owner wasnt happy i replaced and that wasnt the problem but know i got the new knob which is nice the old one rattled around from years of use.:) :) :)