Air compressor CAT 3126

jcross

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 1998 FL 70 with a 3126 in it. It is starting to leak air out of the top plate (?) of the air compressor. There are 3 bolts I believe that secure the plate/cover. Do they make a kit for this or should I replace the compressor?

jcross

Seasoned Expediter
Just called Freightliner $703.33 for a reman CAT part #3391.......ouch! They said no gasket kit for it.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
At that price I'd cut myself a new gasket and try to stop the leak myself you have nothing to loose if its unsuccessful

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I have a 1998 FL 70 with a 3126 in it. It is starting to leak air out of the top plate (?) of the air compressor. There are 3 bolts I believe that secure the plate/cover. Do they make a kit for this or should I replace the compressor?

Without knowing what Air compressor you have I cant tell you what those 3 bolts are holding.
I cant believe its the head with only 3 bolts but I don't know this for sure.
Sounds like it maybe the unloader valve. In which case parts are available and in many cases the unloader is sealed with o-rings.
Here is some reading for you if you haven't fixed it yet. Also keep in mind any time there is a air leak at the compressor it maybe caused from another location unless its obviously a fitting or worn hose. If replacing whole unit I would look at bendix before buying from freightliner or cat. Go to your local truck repair/parts and shop them.

http://www.bendix.com/media/documents/products_1/compressorsgovernors_1/ba921servicedatasheet.pdf

http://www.bendix.com/media/documents/products_1/compressorsgovernors_1/troubleshootingguide.pdf

jt1980a

Active Expediter
I agree with you slo-ride. Ive replaced the unloader valves before. Only $23 for the two unloader valves and I didnt need a gasket. Also, its a quick repair compared to pulling the compressor and power steering pump.

Deville

Not a Member
Without knowing what Air compressor you have I cant tell you what those 3 bolts are holding.
I cant believe its the head with only 3 bolts but I don't know this for sure.
Sounds like it maybe the unloader valve. In which case parts are available and in many cases the unloader is sealed with o-rings.
Here is some reading for you if you haven't fixed it yet. Also keep in mind any time there is a air leak at the compressor it maybe caused from another location unless its obviously a fitting or worn hose. If replacing whole unit I would look at bendix before buying from freightliner or cat. Go to your local truck repair/parts and shop them.

http://www.bendix.com/media/documents/products_1/compressorsgovernors_1/ba921servicedatasheet.pdf

http://www.bendix.com/media/documents/products_1/compressorsgovernors_1/troubleshootingguide.pdf

There is some good stuff in these links.

jcross

Seasoned Expediter
I have tried to attach a couple of pictures. It is leaking out of the plate with the 3 bolts on it.019.jpg018.jpg

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Looks like the unloader cover plate. Not sure I ever had that style apart but it looks like that plate should have a gasket under it..If you try this yourself keep in mind it is spring loaded. you will need to hold that plate in place until ya get all 3 bolts out. If your lucky all you need is a gasket but I would be ready to repair (rebuild) the unloader valve esp if you find allot of carbon build up in there. The above link will show you what is inside or give you a general idea what your getting into. If you don't feel good about tackling this yourself keep in mind once you open it up and cant fix it,,your next option maybe a tow truck.

Make sure you have a good discharge line, Meaning it isn't kinked, collapsed or full of carbon all the way to the air dryer.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
jcross, not sure if anyone has suggested it, but you might try torquing the bolts a click to see if that will seal it. Just a click, don't strip them out or I might have to come over and break your Wheaties bowl.