Aerocells

KandS2

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Does anyone out there use an Aerocell van for their B unit? What do you think of it? I am trying to decide between an Aerocell and a Sprinter. Any comments?

Stay safe out there!

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I just bought a Sprinter 2 months ago. It is a quality vehicle with exceptional fuel mileage. The Aerocell is also a quality vehicle. I believe that the differences between the two would be that you would be able to haul 6 to 8 skids on the Aerocell as opposed to 3 skids on the Sprinter. I hear that with the Aerocell you can expect between 10 and 12 mpg. With the Sprinter you should get about 22 mpg. Since the Aerocell has a gross vehicle weight in access of 10,000 lbs, you must keep log books and adhere to the laws governing hours-of-service.
It would depend on the manner of operation for the particular company to whom you are leased, as too which of these vehicle would be more advantagous.

rt trucker

Expert Expediter
I got my Sprinter in July and really like it. Like Marty says, the fuel mileage is awsome. I get around 24 mph, but maybe I drive slower :) Don't know much about the aerocells.

KandS2

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks Marty for the reply.

I had talked to an Aerocell dealer, and he claims I can register it under the 10,000 limit, and that it weight fall under the 10,000 lbs.

Logging wouldn't bother me too much as I already have to log my van time: I sometimes drive a straight truck.

Stay safe out there!

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
the Aerocell is a Chevy, Ford or GMC cargo van cut away with a fiberglass shell, it is a good looking vehicle, the only problem that I would see is if it was time to sell it, you see very little of this type of vehicles on the open market on used truck lots, you see cut-a-way vans with boxes, ("c" units, or small trucks with a wind deflecting shape. but I have not seen any of this type in my travels driving over 10 years. Where the Sprinter already has proven itself in Europe and on the resale lots there.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Several years ago Landstar was leasing-on Aerocell vans that a dealer in Illinios was registering at under 10,000lbs gvw but they were getting fined all the time. If I remember right the manufacturer has a rating of 12,500 gvw and DOT didn't care what the dealer got those units registered at. It mattered only what the manufacturer had it listed at.
Marty