advise on getting into industry!

plantman

Expert Expediter
I was interested on any advise on getting into the expediting industry. all info will be greatly appreciated

miko

Expert Expediter
I don't really know what to tell you. If I had to do it all over, I'd be scared out of my mind to start fresh now in regards to those insane fuel prices. I might be running around like crazy to locate the best paying company. I bet things are alot harder also for those driving for a o/o with 60/40 split. What unit did you have in mind?

miko
o/o
2 yrs.

plantman

Expert Expediter
I would be an owner/operater plus have a few drivers, I've got straight trucks and cargo vans. Had questions on what percentage owners make,drivers, who pays for fuel, what's avg. fuelsurcharge now,if any, what companies are taking on, etc. thanks in advance for all info.

miko

Expert Expediter
I am a o/o and leased on to a carrier. I don't have much experience in regards to the pay. Perhaps you could go on the Find Jobs section here on the forum, and read trough the advertising there. Some ads explain how o/o pay their drivers. Maybe that gives you an idea.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
>I would be an owner/operater plus have a few drivers, I've
>got straight trucks and cargo vans. Had questions on what
>percentage owners make,drivers, who pays for fuel, what's
>avg. fuelsurcharge now,if any, what companies are taking on,
>etc. thanks in advance for all info.

I'd be hesitant to think you're going to buy a cargo van & have drivers stay w/ ya. They're going to find out (and probably you too) that a cargo van generally doesn't make enough income to support 2 people. The exception to this might be husband/wife, father/son, or something along those lines.

As for the straight truck, I don't have enough information to know. With fuel prices what they are, ya may wanna try it as an owner/operator & see how it goes. Owner/operators are falling by the wayside w/ gas prices what they are. I may be one of em, even though I drive a cargo van. I like my company. I like the driving. It's just a lot tougher to make a profit than it was even 6 months ago.

I'd definately start slow & see how that works out for ya. If you have a few vans & a few straight trucks, you could have 100K plus invested before you know a lot about the industry. Again, do what you feel is best. My suggestion though, would be to run one truck (cargo van or straight truck) on your own for awhile & then determine if you want to invest in a fleet.

Good luck to ya,
Danny

garman351

Expert Expediter
(FORGET IT)
Just read what everybody esle is saying!

The market is being glutted with new teams & drivers only because a small % of them will make it!

Several experienced teams are struggling to make money let alone a new team or driver that does not have a clue how to work the system with the new Company they are working for.

MY advise is if you have experience look into the smaller Company's that haul freight, they seem to be a more stricter on how many trucks they put on and will better take care of you.

I know of a team that has been hauling freight for a 1 1/2 now and they are barley making it, a large price to pay considering they are away from home all of the time.

It is a big sacrafice financially and taking away from your personal life to haul freight. (THINK ABOUT IT BEFORE DECIDE)

Garman351

plantman

Expert Expediter
thanks for all the advise so far.
I already have the trucks. We have a wholesale/distribution company also.and it is somewhat seasonal, lots of peaks and valleys. Was trying to find ways to utilize the fleet we already have. thanks

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Great advice from all. This is exactly what I am hearing out on the road. Go to any truck stop and see how some of these people are living, doors wide open 90 plus temp they appear to be absolutly miserable at least the living conditions are.

Do you want people working in your equipment under these conditions.