Advice from the seniors...

99Tank

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Group:

It has been sometime since I have been on the forum here and over the last week I have been catching up on some of the issues. I was on here before under the username Aripen, but my email address is not longer valid, so here I am again. Anyway, I have a question that I hope some of the senior drivers and/or members can help me with. I drove solo for FedEx in my D unit for almost a year. I have an awesome team now non stop moving in that truck. I have taken some time to put energy into another business I have that took a bit of a dive while I was on the road. I really miss driving and I am ready to come back. Ok, the question: What choice may be the best?

1. - I have my CDL A but no TT driving experience, I am currently looking at start companies to try out TT driving. Swift, CR England, and Stevens have all said I can start orientation. I am not 100% on going this route since I have read so much about making no money for at least 6 months while breaking into the TT arena.

2 - Get another str8 truck and lease onto FedEx - I know FedEx (except the new dispatch system) and I really enjoyed it. But as a solo with a big truck payment it was an OK living and possibly a bit more money then I would make as a starter TT driver.

3 - Get another truck and lease onto Landstar - Keep diversity in my portfolio, and see what they are all about. I have expedited exp but would be learnig a new company.

Opinions are appreciated and respected so please any advice would be helpful.

Jason
FEDEX CC o/o

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Well there Jason. ya may wanna see whom will accept ya. I understand Landstar requires "recent" experience. It may not be just a case of buying a truck and being valuable to someone.

99Tank

Seasoned Expediter
I did speak with them and they said it should not be a problem to get me onboard. I am actually just looking more for the advice of some of the TT drivers who may have switched over to the expedite arena. I want to experience all aspects of this business but I have been told " why do you want to complicate your life" meaning in expedite there are a lot of perks that are not avail in a TT. Parking, tolls, fuel expenses, no hitting the scales and moving tandems, etc.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Hi ,99Tank.
welcome back.
I will try to answer option # 1 .
Stay away from swift, CrEngland ,and look for a company that have a higher DOT safety stats .
if you dont know where to look, :
join OOIDA ,and call the members Dep. they will direct you.
Transport Corp. of America is a good example ,
Depending where you live ,they night soot you as an O/O.
if the company dont have prepass ,stay away !
only you can tell which option is the bests for you ,
but, if you are thinking on leasing on with land-star ,it might take up to 6 months to "figure out the system"
keep in mined that Schneider now have a similar program .
i have met an O/O that rented a truck from Penskey for 3 months ,just to feal the water ,it is an option too.
Good luck.

Moose.
Houston.