Actual Bridge Heights

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Does anyone have a good source for information about actual bridge heights? New York and New Jersey are important to me.

I know that the heights posted in New York have some margin built in--I have heard that it is "snow height", or the height required if there were packed snow on the road. I have heard, but do not know if it is true, that the posted heights in New York are from the axle.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
THE ACTUAL BRIDGE HEIGHT FOR NY IS MEASURED FROM THE TOP OF THE CURB, IN TRAVELING IN ANY OF THE 5 BOROUGHS YOU CAN CLEAR THE "L'S" OF THE SUBWAY AND RAILS, LIKE UNDER THE QUEENSBORO BRIDGE GOING TO INTO ASTORIA, OR GOING UP WOODHAVEN BLVD OFF OF 495, INTO JAMICA, PLUS ROOSEVELT BLVD IN QUEENS, AND ATLANTIC AVE IN BROOKLYN, ETC. UNLESS IT SAYS EXACT. YOU BETTER MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A DELIVERY ON THOUGHS STREETS, OTHERWISE ITS TICKET TIME..

BRIDGE HEIGHTS IN JERSEY IS WHAT EVER IS STATED. NO ALLOWANCE ARE MADE FOR THEM.

YOU MUST STICK TO THE ROUTE THAT ARE PRESCRIBED BY LAWS AND JUST HAVE TO MAKE SURE WHAT ROUTE YOU ARE TAKING IN EACH STATE,

WATCH OUT FOR TRUCK RESTRICTION IN BOTH STATES. THEY ARE VERY STRICT ON THEM
FRANK KATZ

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I would just like to add to Frank Katz's responce to you querry. In New York don't enter any road that has in its name the word "Parkway", for example, "Belt Parkway", "Southern State Parkway",or "Ocean Parkway". It doesn"t matter if the road is a expressway, a rural road, a city street, or even an alley way. If the road has the word "Parkway" in its name no commercial vehicles are allowed on it. In addition to being illegal many of this roads have low bridges crossing them.
Marty

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I live in NY so here's the NY poop. The bridges are marked 1 foot lower than actual height. But... that is not guaranteed, drivers are responsible to check. Case in point true story- this happened in a town nearby me. A dropdeck flatbed driver hauled equipment under a certain bridge to and from where he worked for years. Last summer they resurfaced the road he travelled, including the portion under the bridge, raising the pavement 3 inches. On the day NYS did this, he passed under the bridge as usual, but the machine he had on his flatbed that always cleared before hit the bridge, breaking off a piece of it that fell on the roof of the car behind his truck killing the front seat occupants. He was still held responsible. A tough lesson on bridges to take to heart.
-Weave-