About Ready to Begin

Rabbit

Expert Expediter
I've been hanging around these forums for over two years, learning what I can about expediting. I think I'm ready to get started, in about February of 2011.

I'm 49, and the author of four (soon to be six) published fantasy and science-fiction novels, two of which have been nominated for awards. Writing novels at an award-winning professional level, I assure you, is _not_ easily accomplished. So, I like to think that I have the basic intellect, persistence, work-ethic and life-experience to succeed. As a laid-off GM worker with almost 26 good, solid years under his belt, I'm financially in a good place and have a fair amount of startup capital ready to hand. (I could borrow far more, but that would require considerable persuasion.) My current primary vehicle is a 9200 GVW pickup, so I'm well used to driving big, heavy vehicles. And, as I've said, I've been researching expediting for well over two years. If I'm not about as ready and as serious as a man can get, well... I don't know what more I can do.

I've been pricing used vans and sprinters, and have found a sprinter in particular-- a 2006 8550 GYW with low miles-- that I'd very seriously consider buying and putting to work. I could use the months between now and then to set it up and make sure it's reliable and road-ready. But... I'm not going to spend the money until I know I have a solid contract with a company so that work is waiting for me in about February 2011. I'd be crazy to!

So... Are there any recruiters out there who'd consider me? or should I just start filling out apps at random? Is it maybe too early for anyone to consider me for 2011? If so, then when _should_ I start actively looking? I currently have a "For Hire" (or "Chauffeur's") license, and haven't been ticketed since 1982. But I don't have (and don't particularly want to get) a CDL. I live a few miles off I-65 near Nashville TN, and would be pleased to drive to Ohio or Chicago or wherever to conduct business with a serious party.

While I'd consider working for a third party to learn the ropes, I'd rather not share a van-scale income with an owner for any period of time, and I honestly reckon that I'm bright enough to figure things out on my own relatively quickly.

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Rabbit;

I would suggest that you apply to any Expedite company that you may be interested in. Explain to them that you do not anticipate being ready to roll until..... The real issue is to find out which companies will qualify or approve you as a driver, then choose which company best fits you.

Continue to talk to some of the most interesting company's drivers to learn even more how that company operates. By the time to start, you will be more than prepared.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

Rabbit

Expert Expediter
Thank you _most_ kindly for the reply!

I applied to Express-One today, though their online form offered me no way to explain that I want to delay start. But, hopefully they'll contact me and I'll be able to explain then.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Have you been too any of the work shops? At the top of this page click on find jobs. You will find dates and locations.If you want to drive for Express-1 contact Larry Pickles he was our recruiter when we drove for E-1.If you can make it to one of the work shops you can meet recruiters from all the companys.Good luck

Rabbit

Expert Expediter
I intend to make a workshop soon, but the only one there's been since I was laid off conflicted with a publishing commitment. I hope to make Indianapolis, coming up soon. Thanks!

timrecruiter

Seasoned Expediter
I've been hanging around these forums for over two years, learning what I can about expediting. I think I'm ready to get started, in about February of 2011.

I'm 49, and the author of four (soon to be six) published fantasy and science-fiction novels, two of which have been nominated for awards. Writing novels at an award-winning professional level, I assure you, is _not_ easily accomplished. So, I like to think that I have the basic intellect, persistence, work-ethic and life-experience to succeed. As a laid-off GM worker with almost 26 good, solid years under his belt, I'm financially in a good place and have a fair amount of startup capital ready to hand. (I could borrow far more, but that would require considerable persuasion.) My current primary vehicle is a 9200 GVW pickup, so I'm well used to driving big, heavy vehicles. And, as I've said, I've been researching expediting for well over two years. If I'm not about as ready and as serious as a man can get, well... I don't know what more I can do.

I've been pricing used vans and sprinters, and have found a sprinter in particular-- a 2006 8550 GYW with low miles-- that I'd very seriously consider buying and putting to work. I could use the months between now and then to set it up and make sure it's reliable and road-ready. But... I'm not going to spend the money until I know I have a solid contract with a company so that work is waiting for me in about February 2011. I'd be crazy to!

So... Are there any recruiters out there who'd consider me? or should I just start filling out apps at random? Is it maybe too early for anyone to consider me for 2011? If so, then when _should_ I start actively looking? I currently have a "For Hire" (or "Chauffeur's") license, and haven't been ticketed since 1982. But I don't have (and don't particularly want to get) a CDL. I live a few miles off I-65 near Nashville TN, and would be pleased to drive to Ohio or Chicago or wherever to conduct business with a serious party.

While I'd consider working for a third party to learn the ropes, I'd rather not share a van-scale income with an owner for any period of time, and I honestly reckon that I'm bright enough to figure things out on my own relatively quickly.

Thank you for your time!
Here at Allstate Express we would love to have you work for us as one of our valued contractors. We would be glad to review your information and provide you with our contractor information. We could just review it because if you want to begin in 2011 the information would need updating. Please feel free to call us 1-866-937-1835 to further discuss your options. Have a great day

Tim Robinson
Recruiter