A Sprinter Driver wants.... are these acceptable terms?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The driver wants the following.

fleet owner to pay all truck fees minus $20 a week

100% of all bonuses (layover, hand swap, bonus for anything extra/additional that comes through qc)

All empty moves and dead head miles paid

60% to driver 40% to fleet owner (driver pays fuel)

Are these normal acceptable, industry standard way of doing things in expediting?

And if I don't want to do it this way the driver mentioned that they will find a new owner.

Seeing how the driver has worked almost a year dedicated I'm ok with the new terms. We used to split the truck fees reason why is because I only have one truck on the road, I see why a one truck fleet owner is rare, most go for more trucks, the more money a fleet owner makes the more he/she can afford to pay their drivers and keep them happy which in return keeps business going. As much as I don't want to have to add another Sprinter I feel like I'm being forced because the driver is demanding new terms that are going to mean less dollars on my end. On a positive note, the driver is a real go getter and likes to run 1500-2500+ miles a week if we can get them. Some weeks unfortunately its less. I also drive a sprinter for smaller outfits and locally and sometimes do uship to get out of town. I actually am making more on uship then I would on expedite runs, there are more stops and more lifting stuff off moving peoples items but on some runs I'm making the same as a straight truck would get paid expediting, in a 158 Sprinter. Doing Uship full time simply isn't a option because there is not enough loads to do it every week and takes a lot of time booking the loads with potential clients. I like to take a big run 1000-1300 miles out and same coming back about once every month or two. I usually go to Chicago Detroit in the warmer months and SF/LA and TX in the colder months. Both Sprinters are paid off, the one the driver runs has 260k. Mine has 230k.

Looking for some constructive advice regarding the matter. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like an average deal to me,except,you can't pay deadhead or empty moves unless the carrier you are running for, pays you.