A reminder guys

idtrans

Expert Expediter
It's that time of year very soon get your truck ready for winter. Mother nature reminded me today when my 9900 had all 3 batteries die today yippy fun times. Luckily I was at home and had a 50% copay for new batteries . So I said what the heck why not test antifreeze, and oil, and add some fuel treatment, and inspect air lines and make sure to drain the air tanks of any moisture.

Just wanted to remind you all of this.

be safe and God bless everyone.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Anyone have any input on using fuel additives in DEF engines ?
I started reading a story in an industry magazine at a dealer and got side tracked.
Maybe put it on my list of things to do on Sunday.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anyone have any input on using fuel additives in DEF engines ?
I started reading a story in an industry magazine at a dealer and got side tracked.
Maybe put it on my list of things to do on Sunday.

Not sure the two would cross paths. Isn't def injected into the exhaust system?

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I thought I was just starting to read about not using additives.
This jumped into my mind when a new fleet truck parked next to me today had a sign that said USE NO ADDITIVES IN THE FUEL.
Guess I'll put on my research hat.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let us know what you find.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll be keeping an eye on this, too. Winter is coming, and I remember not being able to start because I hadn't put anti-gelling stuff in the fuel. Now they want no additives, and they want you to use that abominable bio-diesel which gels even easier than #2 diesel does. Reckon us gas vanners will start getting more work because the diesels won't start when it's cold.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
18 month old batteries ac delco 950 cca and they were rated as a 36 month battery. But I run hard then sit for a month then run hard and all over sit for a month lol. So I think that is the reason for short life. But all worked out good because now a full 36 month warranty again. And diesel treatment shouldn't bother def since def is into your exhaust and not into the engine of truck.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I've had many tell me I waste money using no freeze stuff in my diesel in winter but so far knock on wood I haven't had a tank freeze on me since 1995 so I must be doing something correctly. Just remember that Lucas upper cylinder treatment is not a antigel solution ok. Hoews is a good one and affordable usually at big r farm stores for $8 a bottle and I use half bottle for 300 gallons and then if it gets real cold maybe a whole bottle depends where I am running at that time. but in east coast or midwest usually unless bitter cold I am fine. and I sleep with truck off and Snugger on. The freightliner dealer in Northlittle rock many times has great deals on additives and Lucas products, Also truckpro is good on pricing. rarely will you get the stuff cheap at truck stops and forget walmart the bottles are too small.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Have done a little research. Haven't found what I am looking for. I did read an interesting fact in HDT.
The tolerances in a modern day fuel injector are so close that if you took the plunger out and held it in your hand that your body heat would cause enough expansion that you would not be able to put the plunger back in. That's tight !
I remember my father putting metal bushings in the deep freeze so they'd contract the night before the install.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have done a little research. Haven't found what I am looking for. I did read an interesting fact in HDT.
The tolerances in a modern day fuel injector are so close that if you took the plunger out and held it in your hand that your body heat would cause enough expansion that you would not be able to put the plunger back in. That's tight !
I remember my father putting metal bushings in the deep freeze so they'd contract the night before the install.

I used to work in a hammershop. Putting a new piston rod into the ram assembly involved heating the ram, dropping the end of the rod into dry ice the night before, and then assembling the unit the next day or so. It was a tapered fit as well, so when the metals assumed the same temperature it was as if they had been made in one piece. They needed to be, too. A steam-driven twenty-thousand pound hammer hits with close on to a million pounds of force in a full force hit.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
That's likely about .0001"-.0002" (1 or 2 ten thousandths of an inch) tight. To get a visual of that, most notebook paper is around .003" (3 thousandths of an inch). So, that thermal dimensional change is roughly the same as 1/30th the thickness of a piece of ordinary paper.