A Reliable WiFi Internet Connection

klippencott

Expert Expediter
Tired of the unreliable WiFi Internet connections at many truck stops? Can't attach an antenna to your WiFi card?

Let me describe the method I use even though I have a built-in wireless card.

I will have to assume that you have an Ethernet jack built into your computer, most do.

"NetGear" a networking hardware company, makes a wireless box called a "Wireless Ethernet Bridge" model number WGE101. On the back of their box you can unscrew the antenna that comes with it and add a magnetic based external antenna (d-link model ANT24-0700). That gives me a 7db High-Gain antenna which I stick out the window and put it on the roof. The Ethernet bridge connects to the wireless signal. I attach an Ethernet cable between the bridge and my laptop. This setup makes my computer think it is connected to a wired office network.

The bridge will sniff out any WiFi signal in the area. It will also show you the strength of each signal so you can choose the strongest one.

In some areas I have sat at one truck stop and been able to use the WiFi for Flying J, TA and Pilot. I have even been able to get a good solid signal in the parking lot of McDonald's, Kinkos, Barnes and Noble, and Starbucks. It is so much faster than using the card that’s built into my laptop.

While I admit this method is not as easy as a built-in WiFi card, however it is so reliable and fast that it is worth every extra effort it takes to plug and unplug it.

Equipment:
NetGear WGE101 (check eBay)
External Antenna "d-link model ANT24-0700"
350 watt DC to AC converter (probably don’t need this much)