A Question For D-Unit Solos

gavinsdad

Seasoned Expediter
Going to be making the leap here in about two months and am going to be starting out running solo in a D-Unit. I know that teams make more money and are usually given preferential treatment, but teaming is not an option for me. Can't come to terms with the prospect of living in a closet with a stranger. Also have no desire to work for a fleet-owner, as I am too much of an independent personality. So solo o/o in a D-Unit it is going to be. Will be buying a used truck to keep expenses down, and will have a good operating reserve to soften up the bumps that I will be encountering as a newbie. I am very self-motivated and have good business sense, have been self-employed in the past. My question is, can it be done operating as a solo driver with the HOS being what they are? I know it also depends on the company that you work for, so some suggestions as to good companies to sign on with would be greatly appreciated. I live in the Detroit area right off of the I-75 corridor, so I am in a good spot for expedited freight. Will it be possible to average at least $1,000.00 a week after expenses taking all of theese factors into consideration? What has been your experience?

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
This is one business that does not reward your past work ethics. Its only about being in the right freight zone and they move weekly, daily, hourly.

If you think and I use to (my work ethic will be a big bonus to my outcome) think again. Now where it does pay off is in saying YES I want that run!

Does not matter if you live in Indy, or Dayton. This business is all about the NEXT LOAD. I do not care about the load on my truck, its the next Load. Now do not get me wrong, delivering it on time, safe, and with a great attitude is all top priority, but its always about whats next for my bottom line.

Attitude is important, but this business does not reward in those terms, your success will depend on how long you stay out, how you choose your truck, and most important if you can manage $. Do those three things and your chances of success will be much better but not guaranteed cause as I stated, no favoritism, its only about location.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I had a solo D unit for a little over 2 years. I changed to a Sprinter because I felt I could Make a living without cheating on loggs. Since then I have discovered a couple of companies that would be able to run you legal and still keep you busy. Sometimes I wish I had the old Freightliner back but naaa. Maybe some other D truck but not that one. Either way the D truck seems to be the way to go. I'd say try C&M. I wish I had.

panthervanman

Seasoned Expediter
Hi,you are in a great starting spot> I ran for P2 for 5yrs as a solo driver and loved it. I think you can make money doing it I know I did . If you run as a team with someone other than your spouse,you have to split everything you get. They may get more miles but do they get twice as many?? I don't know but the ones that I have talked to at the truck stops were saying that they don"t. The message about being in the right place at the right time was right. If you learn were those spots are and try to work your self close you will do fine. If I ever go back in a truck it will be all alone again,cause when I'm by myself I always win the argument,I'm always right,and I always get my way..panthervanman:7 :7 :7 ;-)

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
I have enjoyed running solo at Landstar in a D unit for the last year. The $ has been fine,well above your stated requirements, but that being said w/o knowing your expenses,i.e. trk payment. I have ran team in large trks before and NO THANKS. I enjoy sleeping on a stationary object;) . Leam is not for everyone and I suggest reading previous posts on any company you may consider. You are definity your own boss here and you will sink or swim alone. Your success will depend on that work ethic,lots of knowledge that you will aquire from various sources( like EO ), good timing, right place right time, right equipt. and a thousand other things that can and will happen. I run out of Phoenix and make it happen so Detroit already gives you a leg up. I jumped in head first, used the resources that were available and haven't looked back. I left Wal-Mart after 9 years as a co. driver there and had never owned a trk. before. I liked the idea of expediting and also of being an o/o. Drop me an e-mail if you have any newbie questions/comments cause I certainly r one. P.S. This is a great site and the folks here have a wealth of knowledge that I haven't found anywhere else. Good Luck.

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
Having your home base where you are at is fine - but that is just the starting point.
It is all about location and working your behind off to stay in the load lanes.
Just because you may have to deadhead a few miles to pick your next load up may not be all that bad if at the end it puts you in a stronger traffic area for the following load.
Drop any notion you are a driver first.
You are a business person first and a driver ONLY second!
Keep in mind your dispatcher can be your friend or if you ##### them off your worst enemy - so once in awhile make darn sure you know you might have to take one of those not all that much money runs to get a run that places you in a better spot for some better runs.
Keep the head up, eyes open and your business sense moving at all times!