A foot long chicken Teriyaki, A haz mat load , and some Extra napkins Please.

moose

Veteran Expediter
We all have being there.
you go to P/U a Haz-Mat load, and all the shipper is handing you is those sticky placards ,that don't fit into the placard holder.
so you stick it on the side of the truck ,and after Del. you tare it off , only it leave a black mess that will not come off at the truck wash...
luckily ,Subway to the rescue .
the subway napkins are exactly the right size.
fit it in the middle before applying on the truck/trailer.
it will leave just about 3/4" all around , just enough to hold it.
to get it off ,punch a hole in the middle ,and pull the napkins inside out.
it will take the placard off .
will not leave a mark !

Now ,can i load a 3,400 lbs DuPont paint and 4 skids of batteries at the same truck ? what placard do i use ?

Moose.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moose, I don't know why the "sticky placards" won't fit your holders. They should be the same size. What I have done, even on company owned trailers is peel the backing from each point toward the center and crease it. This leaves the adhesive on the points and edges exposed. The center of the placard is folded over backing and doesn't stick. To remove either peel back a corner or slice the middle with a knife and peel back toward each point. Works every time. Even in extreme cold.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If it doesn't fit, trim it. As long as you don't cross the border outline you are ok to either trim it off or cover it with tape.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Moose, you did not give us enough info to tell what plaquards to use. Is the paint flammable? How is it packaged? What type batteries are you hauling? They could be corrosive or dangerous when wet.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Okay, I'll try to answer the best I can with the info given.
If the paint is flammable and packaged in less than 119 gal containers the placard you use is a (flammable 3). If the paint is flammable and packaged in bulk containers you must use a number (1263) placard. If the paint is non-regulated, then you do not placard. Now as to the batteries, there is too many choices, they could be dry, acid filled, or lithium. They could be corrosive or dangerous when wet. In any case, you can load flammable in the same truck with corrosive, but you cannot load 4.3 dangerous when wet in the same truck as a corrosive liquid unless you can seperate them so they cannot come into contact with each other during transport.
I got most of the info from the "Hazardous Materials Load and Segregation Chart".

How did I do?

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
For you all that use the holders that you put the cardboard or plastic placards in,and easy way to keep them from falling out,one coat hanger bent into a diamond shape and slid into the holder over the placard.works every time,no tape to take off,no sticky placards to scrape off.