A few cool items

raceman

Veteran Expediter
As many of you know almost a year and half ago I decided to stop going broke and get out of the Fleet Owner role and go after the money myself. I simply had an awful run with drivers and many of you know those stories so I will not repeat them.

Since that time I got my hot little hands on a dream job with my truck and have been doing it for slightly over a year now. During this time not only have I worked hard but every spare moment has been spent looking for items to PIMP MY RIDE. I still have to have my tanks installed and an accent color added and then my hood will be custom painted and that will do it for me. In any case I wanted to share a couple of items that some of my care much more about than do my truck.

Pana Pacific makes a radio that has all the goodies plus it is a direct Sirius or XM receiver. This is great in that it eliminates a couple of other items in the truck. You can get these at truck dealers and maybe truck stops. I got mine at Volvo and the deal brought with it a free mirror mount antenna which improved my overall Sirius reception dramatically. It was under $400.00 and some offer a one year subscription with it which really makes it a great deal. Shop around or call Pana Pacific at 913-825-4458 and talk with Craig Muntzel.

The other item that I think is wonderful is an Aircraft Aluminum Grill. Now you say big deal. Well this is for an FL80. The plastic one that is all you can get through dealers is about $300 and it breaks everytime something hits it. This Aluminum gril not only does not break but it looks very good. It is custom made for Freightliner FL models. It runs $350.00 no tax because it comes out of California and shipping is free. (UPS) Look it up at www.grilla.net or call Fred at 1-800-944-1574.

I hope this is useful to someone.

*******"It ain't bragging when you can back it up"*******
Please note that the above is not truely a full quote because it does not contain the Mother of all word combos.

Kid Rock
Raceman
OTR O/O

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
For those of you considering a fleet, I encourage you to read this persons previous posts regarding what he went through. He is giving a free Education Seminar just by reading some Posts.

I to am an owner of a second truck, its a hobby if you get my drift. To make $ with another truck it really takes someone who is willing to stay out 80% or much more. That is just to unfair to your driver, or be really really lucky to always be in the right spot at the right time. People make promises, in all fairness if they are great workers personal issues will become your business problems as their personal issue. You better be prepared cause everyone has a family, some good some not but it will = downtime for you. To include this as part of % of running most likely your driver will not see it has downtime but as an emergency, once the cycle starts it keeps on going and going.

It is not a diasaster by any means, but it just cannot live up to the #s that were projected. Some of you have knack at finding and keeping great drivers but for the most part its gona be a slow go. If you are even thinking of financing a second truck. Your only going to break even at very, very, best.

The above does not include, the what ifs s s s such as the stories he posted on just one example abusing the truck (vandalizing it) just to get even. As an owner your always gona take the risk. Heck I know of a family that things did not work out, and now someone is looking at taking a GIANT loss, not just a few thousand but a couple of 10Ks added up. Just to get out and save their credit if its not already damaged.

I do know of a handfull of owners who are successfull, but remember this when you find that dream team or solo. They are only a few K away from purchasing their own ride, so you must do a balancing act to either keep them poor enough to keep drivng for you, or rich enough that you are not making a return. Once in while an Ace in the deck comes up, I would guess the odds would be better at the Black Jack table than finding a driver.

Trying to drive a truck and be a fleet owner, just my opinion is gona be difficult and I believe you have a much greater chance at failure than success. Without the support of someone back here at the house I just could not do it and stay on top of it or come back home and be absolutly swamped with paperwork thus=no relax time on a deserved trip home.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
This thread was not meant to be a lesson in Fleet Ownership but what Broom points out about my past threads is very true and what he has added from his new found knowledge is spot on.

What folks do is their business but with a site like this I think it should be very difficult for folks to go off and make mistakes easily. The information is here to protect you from making mistakes that others have made. Now I do not regret anything I have done and I feel I went about it a manner I was comfortable with and would not want to have not experienced it. I was however smart enough to make changes when they were needed as opposed to what I see others do and that is keep beating the same dead horse. That will ruin you.

As I stated before, I learned enough to save myself and get in a position to really enjoy what I do with my truck. I am glad I did it before fuel was what it is now or things may really be different.

Back to my original point. Check out the two items I listed here. Great products for any truck and the grill is really cool for FL owners.

Raceman
OTR O/O

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
Hey Raceman,

What's your opinion of the shine on the grill? We've thought about one but it appears more satin than chrome.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
It is more satin. You can polish it to a full shine if you wish. WD40 and some 600 grit and it will come right up. You can also work with Fred to have them powder coated in any color.

No matter where you end up it is better than the plastic, well in my opinion anyway.

Raceman
OTR O/O

mreese

Seasoned Expediter
Raceman:

I would love to speak to you personnally. I have been looking at expediting for sometime and I think if you don't have 5-6 trucks on the road you are not going to make a dime. The "people factor" is stacked up against you. Most employees don't think like the owners. Trust me I know. That's the "people factor". For that reason, I am looking to run for myself. All people are telling me that I can't make any money and I will have to stay gone 3 weeks at at time. Get past the out time. I know that I have to work the freight but nobody is saying what I just heard from you that a single driver can make a decent living. I know it is not all pie in the sky. But, If I'm going to be a servent to freight I need to make the Good MONEY. Staying out 4 weeks is not a problem if I can make the money. Please read my other post in the Newbies section (mreese).

All comments welcomed.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
That is fine. Drop me a personal message with a number and I will call you and share my number as well. Please keep in mind what I have been doing for the year and some months is not real expediting as most describe it on here. I will go into to more detail when we talk. Good luck with your decisions.

Raceman
OTR O/O