A felony conviction in 1981

dsoest1235

Expert Expediter
I have a class a cdl, two years of drive away experiance, and a long time ago driving school and about a year of trailer experiance. Im about to come into some money and would like to get into expediting but dont know if anyone will hire me because of my past. I had felony convictions in 1981. Its bs since I was just 18, stupid and too young to realize what a big mistake I was making. Im now a grown man of 42 and this crap still haunts me. Any advice from anyone???

dsoest1235

Expert Expediter
Im sorry to say it has every time I try to go back out on the road. I LOVE being out there!! But I have never been able to get on with a good company because of my convictions. I graduated from driving school with a 98% average and could only get on with a crap co. that went under after 5 months. Do you know of an expediter company that would hire me if I had my own truck? Thanks for your reply Ive been waiting. David

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Other than with the expediting companies that require you to run Canada (becoming fewer and fewer), I don't know of any expediting company where your 24 year old felony conviction would even come up, none the less be an issue to not take you on as a contractor. Put it this way- I have been contracted to five different expediting companies over the last eight years. Only one of those five even used a reporting service such as DAC, and that was FedEx.

As far as the background check and fingerprinting to get the Hazmat endorcement (if required), that is something you do on your own, the company you contract to is not involved with that. If you get the endorcement, you are good to go.

-Weave-

dsoest1235

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your input. I had hazmat when I first got my cdl nd let it go but im sure I can get it back and Ill try getting on with someone befor i buy a truck, Thanks again! David Soest

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Most carriers look at the nature of the felony and the time since the infraction. They also look to see if there is a pattern of criminal history.

I met an expediter who had a murder conviction from the 1950's. Arguably, by today's standards it was self-defense and the carrier hired him. They still need to get a Ministers Permit to cross into Canada.

Ok, I admit I was a little nervous while we had a steak dinner and he had access to a steak knife. :eek: :7 :7 :D :D

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

dsoest1235

Expert Expediter
Guess Ill check into that ministers permit or try to find someone who doesnt make you go into canada. By the way I robbed a 7/11, a hotel and a pizza place over a three day period. I was caut after the third one and copped to everything. They added a ccw charged too so I have four felonies all over a three day period. Guess you could say I was a wild child, BUT... that was so long ago I cant beleive companies like Prime inc. wont even talk to me, I know ive tried. Id rather do expediting anyways. Thanks to all of you who responded, David Soest

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
dsoest1235,

Give Lucy a call - she can help answer any questions you may have.

http://www.pardonservices.ca/border/about.html

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

dsoest1235

Expert Expediter
I talked to a lady at the boarder crossing, 800-438-7020 today on the phone and she said it shouldent be a problem since it was so long ago but it cost 700.00 and takes about four months to get a ministers pardon. Thank you all for your help. David Soest