A change in direction...

RobZip

Expert Expediter
Well, I took my B unit back to the owners yesterday and resigned from expediting. I've got 2 regional tractor trailer freight companies that want to hire me and the move is being made this week.

I've had an tremendous amount of fun running expedite and I love what I do. Problem is I just don't get to do enough of it. Originally I was in a D unit. The owner took that truck back to sell it. The B unit seemed like it was a good move since I'd been hauling a lot of B loads in the D truck. It seemed like a reasonable move - take the sme type of loads and get 3 times the fuel mileage while getting paid the same money. It only partially worked out that way.

What came about was a run of underpriced A loads. Some were good money loads but the final analysis is that there simply weren't enough runs, dispatched frequently enough to make it a profitable venture.

The owner of the B unit has moved 2 of her trucks to another company. The first team she has qualified there goes in service on Monday so there isn't any way to compare what results between the two companies are yet.

Part of what I see hurting everybody is the number of low rent cutthroats in the business. I was in Chicago last Wed am, saw an expedite B unit that just stunned me. It was approximately a 1985 or so Chevy cargo van - a short wheelbase model, not a heavy duty unit by any stretch of the imagination. It was leased on to Dynamex according to the cardboard placard taped in the rear door window. This van was listing to the left pretty badly. Poorly loaded or sagging suspension, I'm not sure. The red paint was oxidized so badly that you could write your name in the dust with your fingers. The right side tail light was held in by one screw. Obviously this is about a thousand dollar van on a real generous day and maintenence did not appear to be a major overhead.

With players like this on the field, how low do you think his per mile rate can be and still be able to buy lunch?

Over the past few months I've seen a whole new wave of players in the expedite business - particularly local companies that try hard to lock up certain metro areas as DMW has done with Nashville. I'm curious how long and to what degree some of these companies will be able to undercut the pricing for expedited freight..

Obviously the overall freight volume is down, but these discount outfits - some I hear paying a driver .45 a mile or less are really hurting the established carriers who maintain newer equipment and offer national service.