A bit stumped

BassRhino

New Recruit
Mechanic
Alright first post, first appreciate all the guys on here helping me all time asking the right questions. This one's gonna be a bit longer sorry in advance.
My background: truck and transport mech up in the flatlands of Canada. Never worked on Hinos until most recent Jon, been there 3 months, all 2005 to 2007 mostly 268 and 308 some 185 and 145.
Problem: I got a automatic 2007 185. Surging, engine light, limp mode. Can't read it with my scan tool(getting dx soon) drove in to hino dealership, they said ecm fuse blown. Got it back fine for 3 days then same symptoms, limp in again (1 hrs for 25 min drive fun stuff) they replace and call scv. Pick it up lasts 3 days, limp in again, they call ECM. Order a used ECM bring it in, they say unit won't start and has EGR codes. When they plug in old ECM fires right up. Pick up unit to mothball for now. Drive to yard and no codes nothing (all on old ECM)
Just for fun plug in used ECM, fires up runs like :censoredsign: but runs. Can't read codes yet but does this all sound like several misdiagnoses by dealership(the one here has history of being politely put not the best) will update when get dx software but just was wondering if anyone with more Hino knowledge had any thoughts.
Sorry about length and hope it's right place, keep rubber side down all.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The only time I've ever replaced a Hino ecu was when I was wrong.

DX is basically essential for diagnosis. Without that all I have is speculation. What codes did the dealers pull?