A b?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been at this long enough I should know this but,

What does FX consider an A unit load? Weight? Dims?

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Less than 500 lbs. non discounted customers I beleive, don't pay
A rates anymore if I remember a mailing I got a long time ago.

I don't beleive the dimensions for <500 don't matter as long as iit would fit in a B unit. The few A units that were around a long tome ago were pick up trucks and I think the max length for them was 4 feet (1 skid)

RANDYnRONDA

Seasoned Expediter
A load- 500 lbs or less, length up to 73 inches. 48X48.

B load- 501-2500 lbs, 48x48x102.

The only customers paying A rate are old contract customers.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I was under the impression there were no A customers left that were actually paying an A rate.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the replies. Reason I asked is you still hear "A" loads on the VRU and when you check on-line it will say "customer request" = A for a unit. Got me thinking is all.

RANDYnRONDA

Seasoned Expediter
We were informed over a year ago that there will be no more A rate or loads being contracted. Those customers that had contracts still got A rate. We still get offers that come across at A rate but would be paying B rate. Well that was before the flat rate went into place. So now everything is at B rate.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
"Help the North American Economy, Quit buying CRAP from China!"

Is that possible? It might be replaced by Vietnam since labor costs are cheaper there.

Ever see the daily Air Expedite Loads coming in daily from
Mexico to the U.S. Big loads-5k-15k lbs loads online?
Atleast Fedex gets a piece of the action.

Its a nice slogan but actually doing it-ain't gonna happen...

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
25 years a go when i stared,there were A,B,C,D,E.A was a car or 1/4 ton van,infact the guy that told me about Roberts Express had his Cadillac signed on as an A so he didnt have to pay taxes on it when he purchased it.
an A would haul letters small boxes,but ovr the years,it was discontinued,so you only have B up to 2000 lbs,C 5000 lbs D 13000 lbs And E 44000 lbsmy weights might be alittle of for some of the carriers but they are pretty close

aileron

Expert Expediter
I tried to figure this out, but so far I wasn't able.
Normally you would think that A loads are smaller, and pay less, while B loads are bigger, and pay more.
Well, I had A loads that were bigger than B loads I carried, then I had A loads that paid more money than some B loads.