A,B,C,D

RollinSt8

Expert Expediter
I have been interesting in expidite trucking for a while now. I actually earned my Class A through Schneider, even though...ahum...I quit after the training. I was once in a BMV behind this happy guy that was talking about how he was getting ready to buy another class B truck and he stated that he was into expidite. He stated that he started on Tri-State and moved to ConWay. I asked him about the field and he told me that all you need is a good B straight truck with hazmat and your set.

reading alot of posts on this site it seems people elude to class C trucks (literally TRUCKS but instead of a bed there is a box). I had a friend of mine that had a B class truck (expidite burned him out though and he quit the business).

I'm wondering which class give you more bang for your buck? Which offers the best accomidations (Big sleeper, room for small frige, tv,ect)? I hope vets that have been doing this for some time can help a newb out.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Hey RollinSt8,
Your friend was far off from the truth. There's alot more that goes into expediting than just holding a steering wheel. It takes an understanding how your individual company works, where the frieght is, how far is too far out of range, how much you are REALLY making with each load, etc.

You are probably better off driving for someone until you know the game and are sure you want to play for keeps and get your own truck. Honestly, do you know for certain if you're ready for this kind of lifestyle? A few months of drive - sit n wait - drive will tell you that.

As far as what kind of vehicle to run... only you can answer that. Ds are the most common as they have the most common load in expediting. B is the most casual unit, as you're able to drive it as a POV with no logs, park anywhere, go home when you're close, etc. Es make the most money per mile, but cost the most for upkeep.

Find a company that goes by your house often. If you live in the deep south or New England, you'd be better off with either a local company or one of the biggest - Fed Ex or Panther. Do your research... if you don't like their policies, move on. Ask around who goes with "such n such" expediting, you'll find out the real stories a recruiter won't tell you.

If you want suggestions, tell us what it is you want. Tell us where you live. Maybe we can give you answers.