7.3 cruise

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Anyone know of a shop that will furnish and install cruise on a 2003 Ford van with a 7.3 diesel?
Ford dealers I have contacted say they can't do it because of Ford policy.
Independent shops claim they can not get the necessary parts, not even from salvage yards.

Thanks

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
thats odd ford should do it they just have to re opption the van ... almost like on the line ... we used to do them in paragould arkansas all the time ... and idk why a private shop is tellin you they cant do it you can buy an after market cruise that is universal fit ... id say do a lil research and see if u can find somethin the suits ur needs and take it some where they will usually install them (if they install alarms they will)

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
If its like my 1996 was all I had to do was replace the steering wheel with one that had buttons. The 7.3 is drive by wire and the computer was ready for it and the wiring was all there.

I suspect your 03 is the same.

The aftermarket kits won't work because there is no mechanical throttle on the 7.3 the only moving part it could pull on is the fuel peddle.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
yeah i talked to my ford rep this morning and my dad (ford specilist for 25 years) all you have to do is replace the steering wheel and have the opption unlocked in the pcm ... so in other words just have to re opption the computer ... my familys shop is harrisons garage in corning arkansas if u have the steering wheel they will love to put it on if your in the area and they will have the ford place re opption the computer but im a otr driver now ... im home till friday morning

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
yeah i talked to my ford rep this morning and my dad (ford specilist for 25 years) all you have to do is replace the steering wheel and have the opption unlocked in the pcm ... so in other words just have to re opption the computer ... my familys shop is harrisons garage in corning arkansas if u have the steering wheel they will love to put it on if your in the area and they will have the ford place re opption the computer but im a otr driver now ... im home till friday morning

didn't have to do that with the 96. I just stuffed a tilt/cruse column in it (why not have both right?) and it worked.

I did the same with my 02 Chev gasser. The wiring was there, just replaced the "multifunction" switch and put the servo under the hood and plugged it all in. It just worked. I think I spent 25 bucks on the parts at the "upullit" yard.

Try the steering wheel first. Then go to the dealer to be "re-optioned" if needed.

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
its late 02 ford locked peramiters in the ecm pcm and srs systems to prevent un athorised tampering so that u have to pay a dealership ... u can try the steering wheel but my dad a independt shop owner my for rep and to of my buddies at the chevy dealership all said the same thing ... i know some place do pcm and ecm re op for free if they r running there cars at the same time ... red taylor in corning dose they buy every thing and re op em to increas value

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Ordered a steering wheel today from an online outfit named Cruise Control Store. They guaranteed that is all I needed. I will let you know how it goes.

Stonewolf, please check your private messages.

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Cruise Update:
Got the steering wheel cruise kit installed today and it works perfect. Took about 90 minutes. Bud at Harrison's Garage in Corning , ARK did it for me. He was most reasonable and easy going. Stonewolf was there and helped too. PM for a phone number or other info.

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
lol thanks for the shout out lol ... we were glad to see you and more then happy to help nice to know you are happy with it thanks for the positive review lol ... to every one i will be home bound due to child support and we will be at the shop to help anyone and exprditors will remain priority customers ... hope to be back on the road soon and see ya out there dancorn