34 Hour Restart ?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
My wife and I both had 34 hour restarts on Monday, July 1st. Mine at 0032 and hers at 1000.
We are at home out of service from July 4th until Monday July 8th.
Will we be eligible for restarts on Monday July 8th, 168 hours since our last restart?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
As long as you have 168 hours from the start of your last reset.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Per the FMCSA web site, a restart:

(1) Must include two periods from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m., ...

(2) May only be used once per week, 168 hours, measured from the beginning of the previous restart.

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We will have 5 periods between 1 and 5 a.m..
But is the beginning of the previous restart when we became eligible or when we actually went back on duty.
We were eligible at 0500 and 1000 on July 1st, but we didn't go back on duty until July 2nd due to a predispatch with a Tuesday a.m. pick up.
I'm sure our EOBR will tell us the correct restart time but I am trying to preplan Monday.

moose

Veteran Expediter
let me see if i can understands your question.
you will have MORE then the needed 168 hours from the beginning of your last restart. correct?
you will have MORE the a full week from the time you came BACK to work till the START of your last restart. correct?

i had the same question. and my safety guy still owe me an answer.
when the FMCSA published the rules, they clearly stated that the restart MUST be designated as a restart BEFORE you certify your logs for that day.{the day the restart begin!}.
by doing so, it prevent a driver from designating another restart within the next 168 hours.
to MY understanding, this will becomes a BIG problem for team expediters, as they do not know in the beginning{!} of a restart if it will be in their best interest to designate it as a restart.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
let me see if i can understands your question.
you will have MORE then the needed 168 hours from the beginning of your last restart. correct?
you will have MORE the a full week from the time you came BACK to work till the START of your last restart. correct?

i had the same question. and my safety guy still owe me an answer.
when the FMCSA published the rules, they clearly stated that the restart MUST be designated as a restart BEFORE you certify your logs for that day.{the day the restart begin!}.
by doing so, it prevent a driver from designating another restart within the next 168 hours.
to MY understanding, this will becomes a BIG problem for team expediters, as they do not know in the beginning{!} of a restart if it will be in their best interest to designate it as a restart.

We will have 168 hours or more from our last restart but only 6 days since coming back on duty.
Checking our EBOR it shows that we restarted on Monday July 1st.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I'm planning on taking the restarts as soon as possible. If we run out of hours so be it. Our EBOR is showing the date and time we are eligible for a restart and how many hours will be gained tomorrow and the day after. The only way I would delay taking it is if I am positive that I will be sitting for enough hours to qualify.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Per the FMCSA web site, a restart:

(1) Must include two periods from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m., ...

(2) May only be used once per week, 168 hours, measured from the beginning of the previous restart.

As I read it, whatever day of the week you start a restart, you can start your next restart at that same time on that same day one week later or any time after that.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As I read it, whatever day of the week you start a restart, you can start your next restart at that same time on that same day one week later or any time after that.

You get the prize for making it simple for all to understand the restart.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Note that once you begin a restart period, there is nothing that says you cannot abandon it. If a reason rises for you to drive, and if you have enough hours remaining to do the driving you want, you can do so. You just won't get the restart you originally intended to get.

Our restart strategy will be to take them as soon and as often as possible. The further in the past a restart is, the sooner you will be eligible to earn the next one.

The new rules affect teams such that before, you could restart drives in sequence, but now you cannot.

Example:

Under the old rules, Diane goes into sleeper at end of her shift on Thursday, at 3:00 a.m., and begins her 34 hour restart clock. I come out of the sleeper to begin driving at 3:00 a.m., complete the morning delivery, drive to a truck stop, fuel the truck, park, do a post-trip inspection and then go into the sleeper to start my 34 hour restart clock.

Thirty-four hours after Diane went into the sleeper, (Friday at 1 p.m.), she has her restart and 70 new hours of log book time. If a reason to drive developed, Diane could do so while I remained in the sleeper to complete my 34 hour restart.

Under the new rules, neither of us would not restart until Saturday at 5 a.m. because of the requirement that a restart break include 34 hours AND two periods from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.

The new rules effectively changed a 34 hour restart to a two-night restart, and they limited restarts to once a week.

If it is true that you have to declare the beginning of your restart period by noting it on your paper log or EOBR, it will be interesting to see how the scale cops treat an abandoned restart that is followed in the next day or two by a new declaration.

How do you undeclare a restart period if you start one but abandon it before it is completed?

Last edited:

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
This is the part of the new regulations

(1) Must include two periods from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m., ..

That is going to earn drivers the most tickets, in my opinion.

jimmy