33,000 or 32,000

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I purchased this piece of paper from our govt. that even states on the side of my truck I legal to carry 33,000 gvw. Well last week I picked up a load 11,800lbs.

O.K I balanced it so that I had 19,980 on the rears and 12,600 on the steers (tanks half full on departing). Thinking I was legal. Nope, talked with a driver in Lebanon IN. he gave me the bad news and all the insructions on what to do. (Go around he said) so I did.

Now I would have felt guilt if I were carrying 14,000 and over by 2K on the GVW but I made every effort to make this legal and thought I was. So the heck with it no guilt on my shoulders had to scoot around two scales.

Why if I am legal to carry gvw 33K can I only have 32? Why do we have to pay for something we cannot have? Fair.....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is where they get you. It is the weight on each axle, not the GVW.

Davekc

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
We had an interesting conversation with a scalemaster at the VA side on I-77, between the 2 hills with no possible way of dodging it. We were 400 lbs over on our drives with a hugh die stamping machine in the back that should of been a flatbed load.

The scalemaster commented that had we been able to go forward one more foot with the load we would of been legal! The State o'Virginny allows 20,000 per axle, so the fronts would of been legal along with the drives.

I said it would seem more dangerous to be driving your overloaded steers into the ground and overloading your brakes even more. He said he didn't know of a state enforcement officer that would hold you to the 12000 lb front reg, and then added about big dump trucks that carry 17-18+ thousand on the front.

He added after 14000 they go out and measure tires and look at axles to see if your truck is capable of carrying the extra weight on the front, but below 14,000 they wave you on.

I got on the phone the day after with a few friends that told immediate stories of being pulled in for front axle violations just over 12,000. We all agreed overweight is overweight, no matter what an easy-going scalemaster tries to tell you.

You just never know until you roll past the lights!

The Gibster

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You could have different weight amounts per axle.
If you have 14,000 lbs. on the front and say 16,000 lbs. on the rear, you are too heavy. Why? Front axle is too heavy.
Most states have a 12,000 lb limit. Some will give you some slack, and some will not if you are over.

Davekc

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
The simple answer BigDiesel is Center of Gravity; even though we have front tires on the ground and back tires on the ground and a hugh steel frame between them, where you place the weight between the wheels can make a BIG difference on axle weights.

It's kinda like this: Used to own a 3/4 ton P/U with no cap on the back, the back end was really light. Get onto some snow and the back end would spin, all the weight was in the front. Put concrete blocks in the back by the tailgate, and presto, we went like a tank thru the snow. The weight was better porportioned.

This is probably way more than you wanted to know, but by moving the freight forward or backward in my box can lighten the back end/weight the front end, or visa-versa. Even with single tires in the front and dualies in the back, and a solid steel 40' frame. Big difference.

Hope that helps.
The Gibster

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
BroomPilot,

Don't feel bad, my truck has a GVWR of 52K ("Honest, Officer, it's right on the label on the door frame!"), but in reality it is only legal for 46K in most states.

Rex

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Just be glad you didn't get stopped in IL . They won't let you leave until you're legal on each axle . I've seen cranes shifting loads of heavy equipment tires and scrap metal . I've seen hopper bottom drivers hand shoveling part of the load from one hopper to the other and I once heard a CB message that a straight truck driver was willing to pay anyone with a pallet jack $150 to move a heavy pallet 4 feet in his truck .

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
BroomPilot, What does your truck scale out at? I have carried over 13,100 many times and went through scales with no problems. My truck weighed in at just over 17,000. (Just wondering) My truck also is rated at 33K,but Michigan only will plate you for 32K.
Dive Safely, Happy Holidays to all...Butch :D :D :D