3 skids PLUS 3 feet

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
4,000 lb payload tells me the gvwr is likely more than 10k.

15'6" doesn't impress me. I'm fairly sure the extended sprinter has that now.

Where is the advantage? The ability take wider pallets maybe?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Without question, this would be the 11,030 GVW chassis. However, I'm sure you could spec the 9,900 GVW Sprinter cab/chassis, resulting in a 2,900ish lbs payload.

But there is no real advantage over the extended Sprinter AND the fuel mileage would be worse.

This would not be "The Ultimate" at all.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No, not my "ultimate" either but that's how they labeled it. The plus to it is having the 92" width and 36-38 inches ahead of the 3 skid spots. Enough room to have a 72" bunk across the front and a few stacking storage boxes against the side wall for clothes etc. or whatever storage option one chooses.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One other real negative - the translucent roof would cook you alive in Laredo!!!!

Not a sprinter owner ..but the translucent roof if properly insulated is warm in winter and cool in the summer.....just got done insulating my cube roof yesterday and it was 95 degrees here in Iowa ...big difference once done ..

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
Dosn't work for the the "tourist" expeditors like myself...too commercial looking, over 10K...fuel milage would drop for sure..
...and still not dock high....

Deville

Not a Member
UPS uses these units in my area for certain routes. Personally I like the truck. I've been in the market for a cube van like this for a while. I've seen guys running cabover cubes for FEDEX & they are considered C units & they did not have the sleeper. I imagine this truck would make some money.I know I would make money with it & would be able to do more Manhattan runs. I would put a lift lift gate on it. Since it's a C unit & the max payload is 2500 pounds having the abilitly to keep it under 10k wouldn't be an issue.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I did a Manhattan delivery. ONCE!! LOL!! Actually wasn't that bad. Right down on Water St. I napped until the drop (office) opened and woke to about 150 officers all around me. Apparently they had/have meetings right out on the sidewalks! Who knew???

..XCV..iPhone..that is all..

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not a sprinter owner ..but the translucent roof if properly insulated is warm in winter and cool in the summer.....just got done insulating my cube roof yesterday and it was 95 degrees here in Iowa ...big difference once done ..
Is your whole roof made of translucent material, or just a strip down the center? My mental build of a cuber with a translucent roof would include 1-1½ inch foil backed foam insulation board. Over the living area I would include an insulated, hinged "door" about 16"x16", depending on roof bow distances. This could be opened inward (downward) to allow natural light in and some heat on cool days.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A dry box has been an option since day one when Dodge started building them.
Unfortunately its still a M/B Sprinter as we all know its like dating a high maintenance woman. If I explain in detail I will probly be banned from posting. LOL.

Still I like the layout but if you pass the 10,000 lb mark and at best 10 MPG at that point you might as well spec up to 18,000 on a G.M. or Ford van chasis I have kicked that idea arround a few times for maintenance benifits or go to a S/T.

Bob Wolf.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I did a Manhattan delivery. ONCE!! LOL!! Actually wasn't that bad. Right down on Water St. I napped until the drop (office) opened and woke to about 150 officers all around me. Apparently they had/have meetings right out on the sidewalks! Who knew???

..XCV..iPhone..that is all..

Yep, it can be a litle unnerving waking up to that many officers next to your truck but at least NYPD officers are REAL COPS unlike the security guards writting parking tickets.

Bob Wolf

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yes, they were great. I was approached, in my legal parking spot, and asked if I could pull up so their division commander (or whatever he's called) could have my "promo" spot. Of course I did. The 2 requesting officers were very kind and appreciative. Much respect for all those cops!!