26K gross truck advantage

M3

Expert Expediter
what is the registration advantage of a sub 26K truck? are there any DOT advantages?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One advantage it that I believe your drivers do not need a CDL,also you do not have to apportion your registration throughout the country,you can base plate the truck in your home state,however some states may require a permit even if you are below 26,000 lbs.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Truck/tires/brakes last longer as the max load is 5000 lb (could carry 11,000)and rarely exceeds 2500. DOT is usually a light check as hyd disk brakes are not of interest to DOT. CO is the only state that requires a permit, and that's if you go thru that weight station north of Denver.

If used as an expeditor with a company that hauls hazmat, a CDL is required. No fuel taxes and no reporting worries, meaning I buy fuel where it is cheapest.

Shorter truck means we can park almost anywhere with no hassle, including most shopping areas. We fit inside two parking spaces front to back. Shorter truck requirement means you can get a 16 or 18 foot box and have the spare room and carrying capacity to yourself, but it is available for you to dicker about some larger loads.

A disadvantage, most states collect a sales tax on under 26k vehicles, but in VA I pay $10 for an inspection.

Overall it is a good size if you get one without a CAT and with a 3.73 rear end or less.

Vernon in C2197

G

We have a 26,000 # truck, but we do have an IRP plate. Why? In Michigan you don't have to pay sales tax if you have an IRP plate. I never knew that, but our salesman clued me in and that saved us over 4 grand in taxes plus our payment would have been higher because that tax$$ would heve been added to the amount financed. The added record keeping is a pain, but I think it was worth it.

Also, you can run 65 in Indiana on the interstates as opposed to 60 for larger trucks. And as someone else said, DOT can't nail you for brake adjustment.. The discs stop great and I also have a Jake exhaust brake that will let me come down most any grade with very little service brake.

We are leased to a smaller company who will give us loads up to max and those pay a little better.