24th CHILD killed in Chicago public schools!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know we,ve beat this subject like a government mule.

How bout this...every handgun for personal use would be "special order" from the manufacturer to seller to buyer. No inventory, no huge supply waiting to be stolen. No more Saturday night specials. Verfied buyer to verified seller to maker. Every hand gun accountable...cept for military of course.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
You posted it and I don't feel like looking it up. 24th child killed today, this year, this decade or what?

Not trying to diminish the tragedy of any child being killed by any means or numbers.

FYI, I own six handguns and none have ever been used in the commission of a crime. I should get rid of them or be denied the purchase of another because of what? Because others abuse them? Then you need to apply the same logic to gambling and alcohol just to name two. Because I have six and don't need any more? Says who and what gives them the right to make that decision for me?

I understand your concern and also understand that if you don't vehemently believe in the second ammendment, as I do, your suggestion makes perfect sense. But I do believe in the second ammendment vehemently for the same reasons it was originally put in The Constitution. Our freedoms are slowly being eroded as it is. If the strength of the second ammendment is torn down our freedoms will start disappearing at an even more alarming rate. I don't want to bear witness to that.

The accountability you suggest will lead to gun confiscation. The govt. has no need to know how many guns I own. The left and anti gun lobby already want a national registration of all guns for that eventual purpose.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No..I am NOT advocating getting rid of your guns...what I am saying is accountability of the manufacturers and dealers. Secure storage and all that. I realize alot of illegal handguns come smuggled from other countries. But millions are made right here and not accounted for any way or form. When do the rights of the many interfere with the rights of the few? My right to be secure in my home.
Yeah..have your gun it's your right...
I beg to differ with you on the gov. knowing how many you own...if thiers a break-in or domestic dispute it would be nice if the police knew that they'd be walking into a arsenal in the hands of a guy or girl gone off the deep end and they'd be better equiped to handle the situation.
Oops that 24 this year!!!

Black Sheep

Expert Expediter
I don't know what the details are in this particular case, but a lot of the "children" that are listed in these statistics as handgun victims turn out to be teen-aged street gang members.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OVM,
What’s your point?

We always have had a problem in schools, not until we get our society straight will we reduce these types of killings.

Honestly since the victimization of our society and the screwed up education system where we must teach feelings instead of tangible knowledge, we will continue to have these problems in our schools.

Before the 60’s there were stabbings and deaths in schools but since the major changes starting in the 60’s and the relationship to the ‘great society’, there has been more violence in schools in different forms. The one thing I find disheartening is the idea that we needed to promote self-esteem within the schools (a.k.a. make the student feel good about failure.) and how this single thing has messed more students up than anything else. We continue to tolerate the dismantling the competitive system within the schools (the latest is the elimination of the valedictorian of seniors in some schools to make everyone feel good about graduating) and allow our kids to become sub-standard citizens in the world. No wonder we can’t compete on the world stage with science and math.

I do agree with you on some of you post, mainly the idea of verification, keeping the gun out of the hands of the people who should not have them. Our first restrictive laws (gun control act of 1968) restricted the sale of firearms to felons, fugitives, drug addicts to mention a few, but later it was added that ‘wife abusers’ were also not allow to have a firearm. We are capable to have a verification system but we are still dragging our feet.

The other thing is we have the house passing a law to restrict gun sales to the mentally ill, which is also a good thing but some of the dumbest comments made from the mental health people that it ‘would discourage the mentally ill from seeking help and fail to take into consideration that people can be cured’. I understand from a few really respected doctors, many mental health problems never get cured but controlled.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How about this...we abide by the Constitution of the United States and do not infringe on the rights of the citizens to keep and bear arms. In addition how about if we make the use or possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony a capital offense with no appeal of the penalty. Said executions to be by hanging from the neck until dead and carried out in front of the courthouse of the county seat where the felony was committed. Executions would be carried out on Saturdays at noon. Corpses would be removed Monday morning at opening of business.

Let's also say that anyone who has completed training and certification and been authorized to carry concealed will not be restricted from doing so in any location. Let's go a little farther and say that any of the above people who choose to attend air marshal training at their own expense, and pass of course, will be allowed to carry on airlines. Let's go a little farther and say that any who attend and pass firearms training at their local police academy will be made reserve deputies with arrest power.

OVM, your concern for the "children" is admirable. Your solution is totally misplaced. Your "guesstimates" are exponentially off. There are not "millions" of guns made here and unaccounted for. Yes, there are a few that slip through the cracks but nowhere near a million. Of the 24 "children" killed I'm sure many are in their teens so they aren't children and they are likely also gang members.

If your solution of unconstitutional restrictions were workable we'd still be under prohibition and the thousands of citizens killed annually by alcohol would still be alive. If we're going to restrict inanimate objects for the good of society then we certainly must immediately ban all tobacco since it has no sporting use and no competitive use and is only bad for people.

The more restrictions there are on firearms the worse the crime becomes. That's proven 24/7/365 here in the U.S. in every area that has restrictive gun laws compared to those areas with sensible non-restrictive laws.

Guns are not the problem. People are the problem. Guns are actually part of the solution. Some of the people are just too ignorant to properly respect and use a tool in the way it should be respected and used.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Leo and greg...good explantions.

My grandmother being from Scotland told me a story that after ww2 there was so much gun crime that it become law that and automatic 5years to run consecutively to the crime was instituted This was mandated not optional)...Gun crimes dropped greatly....

Canada has that law BUT it's the judges option and they usually wimp out!!! and make it run concurrent or it gets dropped for a plea bargain.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
The best answer is the current laws need to be enforced. Ammended to include mentally ill? Fine. I don't want to see people who shoudn't have guns with them any more than anyone else. Have you bought a gun lately? Ever? You have to fill out forms and wait for a background check before buying any gun from a retailer. Let a gun dealer get caught shirking the system and I guarantee it will be the last gun he can buy from any manufacturer. Is this system infallible? Of course not. As I stated, lets enforce the current laws and try to improve the proficiency with which they are applied and enforced.

Also, don't ignore the reason the second ammendment is there. It is just as valid a reason today as then whether people will admit it or not. Perhaps more so. You can't convince me that it would be a bad thing if government officials had a genuine fear of what the popualace could do if they got too far adrift.