Big Truck 2017 Hino 268A - P20EE and P204F, and P2216

Jordan

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
2017 Hino 268A - P20EE and P204F, and P2216
Vin 5PVNV8JV6H4S57071
Approx 65k miles

Preface: I'm not a mechanic, and sometimes do dumb things...

Truck is/was driving fine. Started passive regen while driver operating, then popped on the engine light. Driver still operated the truck the remainder of the day without any issue but engine light remained on.

I hooked up the Nexiq on DX2 (which I really shouldn't own because all I know how to do it get DTCs and delete DTCs).
Threw these codes:
P20EE - Catalyst deterioration of urea SCR catalyst
P204F - Malfunction of urea SCR system
P2216 - NOX sensor (SCR downstream( and heater) - Circuit (Circuit short)

That said, I don't know where to go from here. Should I just delete the codes and see if they stay clear, or am I just causing further damage

Jordan

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
From what I'm reading in the workshop manual, it appears I just need to replace the NOX sensor 2. The truck is still under full warranty, so I believe this would be covered. The problem is the dealer is out at least 1 week for repair. I appreciate any advice you may have.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know it's easy to say, but be patient.

This site has a couple of top notch Hino experts, greasytshirt and Hino123.
They pop in on a regular basis, however, being the holiday season it might take longer than usual.

If it helps, perhaps sending a private message might be in order.

Good luck.

Reactions: Jordan

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
I’m not near my laptop but... if it is still covered by emissions (warranty 5 years 100k is standard coverage) take it to the dealer. Nox sensors are roughly $525 each and are usually replaced in pairs. My quick 2 cents.

Reactions: Jordan

Jordan

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I dropped it off last night, assuming this to be the case. Dealer estimated 5 days before getting the truck into the shop. Just a bummer with that kind of downtime over something so simple. I considered just paying the $ and swapping them myself to keep it rolling but I think there are a couple of open campaigns that need done as well. Time will tell....

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
UPDATE>> I checked warranty, and as you stated it is covered. It has an outstanding campaign, which when performed will disable the ability to use the exhaust brake at idle, inflicts a more severe de-rate when the DPR is full, and will not allow you use the cruise control function to ramp up the idle speed. If you have a PTO that is not wired directly to the ECU the dealer will properly wire it at no cost (supposedly). Its not all bad, but I make sure it is explained to the customer before I remove features from his truck. The unit already had the outlet Nox sensor replaced under warranty on 3-6-18 at 35,147mi. The P2216 code essentially states unless you have a Can communication fault, replace the Nox sensor. Sometimes the heating element fails and that seems to be the case here. The sensor they installed was the latest version of the sensor "e0540" I have not seen many failures of that sensor personally, so hopefully you wont have any further issues going forward.

Reactions: dalscott

Jordan

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Man, you guys on here are awesome and doing great things for people. I hope you get paid A LOT for the service you provide on here!

Thank you.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
“Paid a lot” :tearsofjoy: I just do it because I enjoy helping people, and gain experience and knowledge along the way. I have had a few generous parties submit a donation to my PayPal, I but I don’t receive a check or anything :smiley:

Jordan

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well. Good news - Replaced the NOX Sensor, cleared codes and truck is running great. The bad news, the sensor wasn't covered under warranty since something had rubbed/chafed the wires at the top of sensors where the wires go into it. (I have my guys carry boards/2x4's with them to protect driveways when we delivery roll-off containers). I couldn't splice them since there is only about 1/16 wire left at the top of the sensor. Either way - Your help is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Hino123