2015 RAM Promaster Upfit from A to Z

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
You're going to insulate and panel the upper part of the walls right?
Yes. I am just hesitating here so I can get the interior metalwork started. Also, the upper driver's side gets wiring for the 120 volt system and TV coax before it gets enclosed. It also gets a door for the air conditioner.

The entire area behind the seats eventually gets insulated and finished with red oak.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
While the interior steel is being finished, we installed the Odyssey Storage battery, 1,800 watt Tripplite Inverter, & Isolator/Relay to power the driver comfort appliances when the engine is off. Although exposed right now, they will be fully protected from cargo damage by the steel interior trim we will install next week.

Attachments

• 1424725108340.jpg
    1424725108340.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 151

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Have you considered doing your upfit for others? It looks far more professional than many of the "professional" upfitters whose only goal seems to be how quickly they can do an "adequate" job to collect their fee.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Have you considered doing your upfit for others? It looks far more professional than many of the "professional" upfitters whose only goal seems to be how quickly they can do an "adequate" job to collect their fee.
I have had a few inquiries... and if I don't have one of mine to work on I would consider working on others... but I don't make junk so it would likely be more cost.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You get what you pay for as they say. Yes, I'd imagine it would be more expensive but 20-25% more expensive for 50% plus (if not much more) better quality is well worth the expense, especially if one anticipates many years in expediting. And now, back to the topic on hand.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Starting to "fit" the steel... these are the passenger side bins for straps, gear, personal stuff, etc.

The front bin is open to the outside when the slider is open. It for safely securing the generator and gas can while traveling.

The recess along the top of the middle bin is for another row of E-track... they are really helpful for securing loose barrels that we sometimes get, among other things. The stop boards that also fit into standard steel pockets inserted into the E-track also provide a second level, which we have used a few times.

The rear most bins are tapered to help guide the loads between the wheelwells.

Also, the entire top area of the bins allows for flexibility in the bed placement, which will be shown later on when the mattress gets here.

There is no finish on the steel yet but I will likely finish them white, possibly with white Line-X if I can get the local Line-X shop to be reasonable.1424907563711.jpg

Attachments

• 1424907584854.jpg
    1424907584854.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 154

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
I just bought 2014 Promaster 2500 high top 155" wheelbase with diesel. I would like to finish inside like yours. Question I have is how do you make template for all pieces of wood? Easy way of course. Thanks and nice looking van and easy to follow explanation as you go.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
The reason I asked. The picture looked like it was narrower up front. We have a customer with 56" by 10 ft freight.
Very nice work sir.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
The reason I asked. The picture looked like it was narrower up front. We have a customer with 56" by 10 ft freight.
Very nice work sir.
It is slightly narrower (56" to 54" ) at the front 4' however, if we ever need to, the generator box comes out in less than 10 minutes, but we've never needed to.

Thanks! More to come... just a little spring break the last week.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We took some time off to put a new driver in a Promaster left on the East Coast and then took in a couple of Tiger Spring Training games but now I'm back at it...

Now the first layer of 1" insulation is glued in between the roof ribs while my capable assistant stuffs the small cavities with pink insulation & spray foam...

Then the next layer of 1-1/2" sheet insulation is glued in perpendicular to the 1" sheets, sealing off any possible gaps/leakage.1426622872891.jpg
1426623013071.jpg

Last edited:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Today we finally got the bins and bulkheads back from the powdercoater... we tried Line-X but it was too expensive and the results would not have been as good.

The first load in the new van was its bins & bulkheads...
1426623217444.jpg
The passenger side was first... the E-track is inset so it doesn't affect our width. It comes in handy for some loads... especially barrels!
1426623270151.jpg
Then the bulkheads were fit again...
1426623322245.jpg
And here's a picture of the generator in its home bin inside the door. There's room for a small gas can, too... and the bin prevents both of them from becoming missiles during panic stops or worse yet, an accident!1426623473655.jpg

Last edited:

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
Today we finally got the bins and bulkheads back from the powdercoater... we tried Line-X but it was too expensive and the results would not have been as good.

The first load in the new van was its bins & bulkheads...
View attachment 10642
The passenger side was first... the E-track is inset so it doesn't affect our width. It comes in handy for some loads... especially barrels!
View attachment 10643
Then the bulkheads were fit again...
View attachment 10644
And here's a picture of the generator in its home bin inside the door. There's room for a small gas can, too... and the bin prevents both of them from becoming misses during panic stops or worse yet, an accident!View attachment 10645

Nice clean look. I like the bins a lot.

Hamman77

Active Expediter
Driver
I had a PM pass me recently on Indiana toll road that looked looked like a box truck behind the driver. Didn't know PM's are available as a stripped chassis..cool!!