2013 Hino 195 hard start

_Duke_

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hi guys,
My 195 has a funny problem where it will only fire right up if the fuel tank is full. The emptier it gets, the longer I have to crank it before it will start. I don't know if this is related or a separate issue; but the fuel gauge also doesn't work.
When I got the truck it had a rusty, leaky sender pipe coming out of the top of the tank. So I replaced that and it's had both of these problems ever since.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Hi guys,
My 195 has a funny problem where it will only fire right up if the fuel tank is full. The emptier it gets, the longer I have to crank it before it will start. I don't know if this is related or a separate issue; but the fuel gauge also doesn't work.
When I got the truck it had a rusty, leaky sender pipe coming out of the top of the tank. So I replaced that and it's had both of these problems ever since.
You have the float lvl in the tank broken and fuel pump plugged.
Does it have any inline filters?
Something is plugged along your fuel lines.

_Duke_

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Sorry, it's a 2013 Hino 195
I suspected it might be an electrical issue with the fuel gauge because the bottom bar of the gauge flashes constantly. Do they normally do that if the float is stuck down?
No inline filters between the tank and the sender on the passenger side rail, from there I can't quite tell where it goes. I'll check the main filter and see what I find. Thanks Dan!

Reactions: danthewolf00

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Is that gas or diesel? Diesel can go bad or be dirty so a inline fuel filter is alot cheaper than cleaning and repairing your fuel system....
Diesel can get a fungus growing in your tank and that can plug your pump and/or fuel injectors.

Reactions: Hino123

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Side tank or rear tank? What is the application of the truck? Rollback/Box? Seen ramp truck guys damaged the fuel tank pick and return lines by hitting it with the ramp. Sounds like if this all started when you replaced the pipe. You could have jammed the pipe in the way blocking the float if the pipe was rotted externally it would only make sense that it possibly has a pinhole leak somewhere in the pick up. This would cause it to suck air and start hard. Filling the tank would disguise this issue. I would double check everything you did to the tank. Pictures would help as well. I’m not sure what “rusty leaking sender pipe” repairs look like. Send us a picture.

Reactions: danthewolf00