2010 Hino 258 Regens 3 times a day?

likemlow

Seasoned Expediter
Mechanic
Hi everyone. I don't know why but this truck is regenerating up to 3 times a day now. It used to only Re-gen around once a week. It doesn't have any fault codes, and we had the DPF baked in Nov. Any tests I can try or data I can check with our generic Snap-On truck scanner? Any input is much appreciated thanks!

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
I use OEM software so I cant help you with data on your snap on scanner. I would monitor DPF temps (if possible) and be sure they are right around 980-1080 degrees. Will it do a manual regen if requested or does it time out? NO CODES at all?? How many bars are in the DPR gauge? Inspect the temp sensors for broken wires near the connectors, inspect the tailpipe for and soot and report back.

likemlow

Seasoned Expediter
Mechanic
Thanks for the reply. No Codes at all. Some soot on tailpipe. No bars on DPR gauge. Can't get DPF temps on our scanner. :( Although, I took it for a test drive and noticed the Exhaust brake doesn't slow down the truck much. I know that's needed to get the temps up for Re-gen. Is there a specification to adjust the brake to? I adjusted it a little bit seems to work better now.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Quick update.. Yes the exhaust brake needs to be adjusted with the DX2 software. Look to see if you can monitor "injection Quantity" with your snap on scanner. I could assist with a work around possibly if you can view this data. The unit would also have to be equipped with a high idle knob, or have the ability to use the cruise control to bump the idle to 980 rpm. The unit would need to be at 980 rpms when checking injection quantity. The exhaust brake is not as effective as an engine brake, or "Jake brake". If you adjust it too much it can make it worse. When performing a manual regen it relies on the exhaust brake to generate the heat more so than when driving. So it will complete a regen, has no codes and no bars on the DPR gauge? When you say "some soot" can you be more specific? Any soot in the tailpipe indicates a DPR that is breached or cracked. Report back with findings and I can be of more assistance.

likemlow

Seasoned Expediter
Mechanic
Sorry for the late update.. I just wanted to wait a little while to make sure it's fixed. Turns out it was the injectors over fueling causing this condition. I took it to someone that has the Hino software to diagnose it. We replaced all 6 injectors, Baked the DPF and shes now back to normal. :grinning: Thanks for all your help!