2009 HINO 145 P2103 P2101

TGcville

Rookie Expediter
Fleet Manager
Tech notes from the previous two services:

Late Sept 18’ at 243,879 miles "Found DPF temps excessively high causing DPF to crack, performed injector test - all injectors failed. Replaced all four injectors, DPF, and associated Hardware. Adjusted Exhaust brake, and road tested. Had low power at takeoff. Checked over and found turbo actuator sticking. Replaced Turbo and exhaust manifold studs & hardware." Cost - $9,978.21

Late Feb 19’ at 254,070 miles it "had P2002 dropped rear of DPR filter - was melted. Replaced DPR filter, gaskets, bolts and nuts - Replaced Injectors, Hold down Botls, return line, seals and valve cover gasket. Completed Auto Regen, and reset burner maintenance." Cost - $6,232.29

We just got this one back from the dealer and it threw these codes within a week. 02 May P2103 P2101 (date was set to may 2nd, this was checked yesterday may 21st).

It also showed these codes from previous dates, I’m assuming they are inactive? 24 Jan P2002, 18 APR P0546, 18 APR P2033

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
p2033= High DPR outlet temp
p0546= High DPR inlet temp
P2002 DPR malfunction =high soot load
P2101 Intake throttle valve sticking
P2103 intake throttle valve high input. Sounds like you have a sticking intake throttle valve, possible worn butterfly shaft or possibly a wiring issue. Remove the CAC hose and wiggle the shaft if there is play replace it. Inspect the wires going to it as well. I have seen a few burnt harnesses in that area on the JO8 6 cylinders. As far as the dpr and temp sensors. is it possible they didn't clear the codes in the meter? Its hard to tell in you post if they are still active. Inspect the wires right at the temp sensor. They like to break right behind the connector. good luck let us know what you find.

TGcville

Rookie Expediter
Fleet Manager
Previous post edited for a little clarity.

I think P2101 & P2103 are the only active codes? The others were from previous dates, but were still displayed under the system check. Perhaps they didn’t clear them?

The date stamp being ~19 days before the actual date puts the P2002 just before the ‘late feb’ service from the previous post, and the P0546 & P2033 just before the service it just returned from. I think they worked w/ hino on the last service and found some sort of intake leak, but I’m not positive. I’m yet to get the bill and notes from the last service, I’ll know more when I do.

Also, why would the DPF fry within 5 months of replacement? I requested the burner event log, and asked the driver if he leaves the exhaust brake on. He said he “only puts it on when the DPR gauge hits 3 bars.” So I’m guessing it’s not automatically regenerating becuase he probably just leaves it on? Or he’s shutting it off after starting a manual regen? I also asked the driver previously if he ever did a manual regen, and he said it would do it ‘at every stop.’ So I am assuming he’s not allowing it to complete and cycling the ignition in order to avoid the wait. Would that cause the DPF to melt In 11k miles? I guess the high soot load doesn’t help, would the high soot be caused by an intake leak which was hopefully fixed?

Trucks are part of a refrigerated delivery fleet and do a lot of idling if that matters.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

TGcville

Rookie Expediter
Fleet Manager
Dealer said burner event logs are only avail on 2011 and newer, so no info there.

Update from them today was it needs another turbo, though they just did one recently and it will be warrantied.

This is in relation to the P2101 & P2103 codes, does that sound right? Or are they overlooking something w the intake throttle valve?

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Strange that it did not have communication or a p0045 codes. I would check the intake throttle valve. I just had one act up on a UD this week. it would take you less than 2 min to remove the CAC hose, grab the shaft and wiggle it. The one I replaced was only $162. Make sure the key is off FYI.

TGcville

Rookie Expediter
Fleet Manager
They warrantied the turbo replacement, but the throttle body looks new too. Haven’t seen a bill yet, so I’m not too sure what all they did. Truck seems to be running much better.

Last edited: