2007 Hino 268 -- Check Engine Light / Limp.... no codes read?

Davenpbl

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Shop manager called me today..... very apologetic, saying the standard stuff "we never do that here, I've been here 40 years and not seen this, I have the work report right here....I can't believe it..... we'll make it right." Well I already disputed the credit card charge. Sent me the 15 pages of diagnostics and notes showing work done. I said the paperwork does look very pretty but the facts as they stand on the truck seem to trump them.

Reactions: danthewolf00

hilltop2003

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
You can diagnose a P0045 without a code. If the Linkage rod is binding that is a problem and would explain the symptoms you are describing. That being said. You can not pull engine codes through the 9 pin DLC. That port is for Allison transmission and Wabco brakes. All ECU/engine codes must come from the 16 pin. Hino/Isuzu/UD use a different protocol than other one’s. If you plug a generic 16pin code reader in it most likely will not read it. The fact that you state the CEL comes on and it is de rated when you go over 35 mph says to me that you have a turbo, egr or fuel related issue. Fuel and Egr don’t match the description you have given for this issue…. However a sticking turbo sounds very plausible in this situation. Check the rod or have the codes pulled through the 16 pin. Let us know what you find.
In my experience I have only found 3 things that will cause a derate on 2005-2007 trucks. Turbo 90%, egr 5% and fuel pressure 5%. On the 2008-2020 truck you can pull the codes from the meter/cluster. 05–07’s are harder. I know you also state the dealer pulled codes but found no codes. Are you saying the CEL light was on and they were not able to pull ANY codes from the ECU. ?
]

hilltop2003

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I have 2005 Hino 268 truck only goes 45-50 MPH, some time when I start up in the morning and truck is cold it will drive normal going up to any speed for about half hour until it get hot then it will cut back down to 45-50 MPH, Take it to the Hino dealership and they charge me 3 hours for diagnostic and telling me they suspected it’s a communication problem and they need Moore hours to diagnose

any suggestions ???