2007 Freightliner M2 106 ; no brake lights

CLT_broker

Rookie Expediter
Hope someone can use this 5 mins, 5 weeks or 5 years from now. I really wish manufacturers would stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

EQUIPMENT:
2007 Freightliner M2 106

SYMPTOMS:
No brake lights. All other lights operative (tail, turn signal and box)

SOLUTION:
Faulty AMU. Located on the frame crossmember just forward of the rear axle. When looking at it, it will be the switch to the right (driver side) of the cluster, have air lines in and out and a 6 pin harness going into it.

Please save yourself expensive repair bills and time to trace wires, locate fuses/relays, multiplexing... yada yada. If you dont have brake lights and all of the other lights are operative, the AMU will be the culprit. Parts and labor should get you rolling at about $250.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Had the same problem on my 2004 2 weeks ago. Brake lights would come on when you pressed on the brake pedal but they would go out right away. AMU fixed it. I could have changed it myself, about $100 from the dealer, but I was in a bind, so I let sombody change it. Charged me $135 for the part, diagnostics and labor, about $250 total. I am in the wrong business.

And to add insult to injury, they only installed 3 of the 4 mounting bolts. I know it will work even with 2 bolts, but it just irks me when I pay people to do something right and they do stuff like this.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Had the same problem on my 2004 2 weeks ago. Brake lights would come on when you pressed on the brake pedal but they would go out right away. AMU fixed it. I could have changed it myself, about $100 from the dealer, but I was in a bind, so I let sombody change it. Charged me $135 for the part, diagnostics and labor, about $250 total. I am in the wrong business.

And to add insult to injury, they only installed 3 of the 4 mounting bolts. I know it will work even with 2 bolts, but it just irks me when I pay people to do something right and they do stuff like this.

Been there seen it happen all to often ! Poor workmanshit!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: brokcanadian

jamom123

Expert Expediter

They done a similar deal on mine. Brake lights not working narrowed it down to the AMU. Problem fixed got home doing a walk around on the truck and noticed something hanging a couple of inches from the driveshaft. Turns out it was the complete block where the AMU sensor is located with all the air lines. If that had've gotten caught on the driveshaft could have been bad. I put it back up needless to say. One good thing out of it though they left a magnetic light attached to the frame.