2007 Ford E-350 DRW 10,000 GVWR

MSinger

Expert Expediter
I found an article on this in the latest issue of Light & Medium Truck magazine. I found the following information off www.fleet.ford.com/FFH/Rental02_15_06.asp

The original article indicated a gas only (5.4) model but I can't confirm that. Who would want a 6.0 problem child diesel anyway??
At least some manufacturers are getting smart about this. Then you've got Daimler who is raising their GVWR above 10,001 on most of the new Sprinters and Ram Cab/Chassis even with SRW. Doesn't make sense to me.

Ford Fleet Highlights

Rental E-News

'At 10,000 lb' GVWR Offerings on F-350 SRW Pickups and E-350 DRW Cutaway (138" Wheel Base) and Stripped Chassis (All WB's)
The 'at 10,000 lb' GVWR is a significant option because of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR). This option has been provided due to individual States & Municipalities increasingly adopting the 'interstate commerce' regulations for 'intrastate' operations and the impact of these regulations on trucks with GVWR's at or above 10,001 lbs. The FMCSR impose additional driver (i.e. driver hours of operation) and vehicle (inspection, repair, maintenance) logging requirements, insurance minimums, and other requirements that can be very costly for Fleets to implement. An 'at 10,000 lb' GVWR truck is not subject to the FMCSR regulations. For a greater understanding of FMCSR requirements visit the National Truck Equipments Association's website.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Hey Mark,

Wasn't the GVW on the 138" chassis at 9600 last year? That might help some people out who want some sort of cutaway that stays under logging weight, while giving them a little more latitude, especially since GMC already has this option on its 158" frame.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

MSinger

Expert Expediter
I don't think anyone except for GM had any DRW vehicles under 10,001# GVWR. Ford had a SRW cutaway with a 9600#. The Sprinter cab/chassis when first introduced had a 9990# GVWR but the second year of production it was raised to 10,200#. I have a 2002 GMC DRW former Penske truck with a 10,000# even GVWR. Been running the wheels off of it for the last month or so.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Ok. I guess I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that Ford was upping their 138" DRW chassis from 9600 to 10000 GVW.

So how's that new truck workin' for ya? You get the itch to jack up the rear end on it yet? :)

Drive Safe!

Jeff

MSinger

Expert Expediter
No I haven't jacked up the back yet. So far I have only had one incident involving a "supposed" dock high only receiver. There was a line of trucks clear back to the gate. I went on through to check in and the receiver said I would have to go to the end of the line and wait for an open dock. When I mentioned that I was not dock high they said.."oh, well just pull up out front and I'll have someone come down the ramp and unload you." So my wait time was 5 minutes instead of an hour or more. I thought "Man, I love this truck!!!"
Now that it is getting cold we'll see if they are just as nice about having to come outside. God forbid they would let me back up the ramp.
Probably some kind of ISO safety violation:)

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Personally, I hate backing ANY kind of van body up the ramp. Usually real narrow. Just remember, if you're backed up a ramp for more than just a few minutes, make sure not to just take off after you come down. All that tranny fluid goes to the front and needs a couple minutes to settle back down before you start switching gears or you'll burn out your tranny.

Drive Safe!

Jeff