2001 Sterling Acterra-Need info.

Bornfree

Expert Expediter
Is the Sterling Acterra good news or bad?Mercedes MBE900-280 hp engine,Eaton Autoshift Tranny,68" aerobullet sleeper,power everything,air ride,AC,brand new for $51k.NO BOX.How much for a decent box,22'-24' set up for expediting?Thanks.:)
"Are you talking to me?"

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
BornFree,

Sterling was going to be the first OEM to build Expediters straight off their assembly lines in Ontario. They have delayed their plans until the market gets better.

Here is a picture of their Expediter:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/gallery/Class_7_Trucks/00011truck.jpg

However.....in the coming weeks we will be featuring the Sterling Acterra Expediter and doing an in-depth profile on it. We will also have some great news on this product for the Expediters.

Thanks,
Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
BORNFREE THE TRUCK IN THE PHOTO ABOVE IS THE TRUCK I WAS TELLING YOU ABOUT IN ONE OF YOUR OTHER POSTS. THE TRUCK WAS STERLINGS SHOW CIRCUIT TRUCK. A FRIEND OF MINE OWNS A WESTERN STAR/STERLING DEALERSHIP. HE HAS THE TRUCK THAT IS IN THE PHOTO ON HIS LOT. IT HAS BEEN THERE FOR ALMOST A YEAR NOW. THEY REALLY DO NOT SPECILIZE IN EXPEDITERS. IT WAS PLACED IN THEIR INVENTORY TO SELL AFTER IT CAME OFF THE SHOW CIRCUIT. ITS A HELL OF A NICE TRUCK. AND I THINK SOMEONE COULD GET A GOOD DEAL ON THIS UNIT. I THINK THEY WOULD REALLY LIKE TO MOVE THIS UNIT. I DON'T KNOW ALL THE SPEC'S ON IT. BUT I DO KNOW IT HAS A MERCEDES ENGINE,AUTO-SHIFT,ONE HELL OF A INTERIOR PACKAGE WOOD GRAIN DASH,POWER EVERYTHING,NOT CERTAIN BUT BELIEVE IT HAS 35K GVW,15K STEER/20K DRIVE AXLE. THE BOX THAT IS IN THE PHOTO WAS TAKEN OFF OF IT. FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD THE BOX THAT WAS ON IT. WAS BASICALLY JUST A SHELL. THAT WAS JUST PUT ON FOR SHOW. THATS WHY IT WAS TAKEN OFF. ANYONE INTERESTED IN THIS TRUCK OR MORE INFO ON THIS TRUCK CALL: RIVERS TRUCK CENTER LOCATED IN RED LION PA. @ 717-244-4903

Big Scooter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My wife and I drove a Sterling for 15 months and loved it. Real doors that actually sealed. Real heater/ac system that actually worked. User friendly instrument panel with a cab interior that was quality made instead of the generic crap that Freightliner installs. Excellent quality for the same price as a Freightliner. If only they would make a condo-top for the cab. Unfortunately, the one we drove was put together by Alumijunk and had a Cat 3126E and a Spicer Tranny. Keep an eye on Sterling in the next two years. I'd like to know what WEAVE thinks about them. How about it Weave?:7 :7

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
OK, here goes, and it's sort of a complicated story. Ford wanted to get out of the class 8 truck market a long time ago. They finally got the opportunity to do it with Freightliner buying out that division of theirs- now Sterling. The base Sterling designs are still Ford 8000 chassis. Don't knock it, Ford made a mistake because they finally made a class 8 truck that was decent and drivers liked it esp/ due to it's smoothness and comfort on the highway. But having the opportunity to get out of class 8's is what Ford corporate wanted, and Freightliner granted them that wish. To give this story another twist, Ford recently purchased Volvo's automotive group. Volvo's heavy truck division has long been associated with GM. My guess is Ford is going to take the Volvo truck division over also and have that as their new source of class 8 trucks- sort of a sleek way in the long run to screw over Freightliner/Diamler/Chrysler and GM all at once.
;-)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I believe Volvo and GM parted company several years ago. GM now seems to be in bed with Izsu for cab forward mid size trucks and still build the Top Kick and GMC in Janesville Wisconsin. I think they are out of the heavy duty truck business completely. Ford always built a
good truck in Louisville and I was sorry to see them sell that business. If I was contemplating a new truck I would definitely look at the Acterra. I met a couple 2 weeks ago that had one,traded from a FL 70, with 750 K on it and absolutely loved it.I looked inside the cab and it looked laid out quite well.
In this issue of LandLine there are photos of the new Freightliner mid size models coming out this year. Looks like an International.
I think we are going to see more mergers down the road,Volvo and International come to mind as Volvo builds their own engines and International buys their engines from the various engine manufacurers. Interesting thing is that International said they would no longer offer Detroit Diesel products in their trucks as Detroit Diesel is also owned by Damiler Benz who own Freightliner,so they do not want to help their competition..

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have seen prototypes of the Freightliner Business Class M2-
It is a direct copy of the Mid-sized Internationals. Does anyone at D/C have a mind of their own?
-Weave-

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, another interesting twist.. WHY did Penske sell off the profitable and decent (after GM) Detroit Diesel Corp. to D/C?? So they can SCREW IT UP PERHAPS?? And they will. With my luck Cummins will become part of that conglomerate too, and ALL "heavy duty" truck engines will be made of fine Diamler-Chrysler plastic.
-Weave-

G

Come and test drive a new 2001 Acterras. I have 13 set up to Expedite. Allison auto, 275 Cat, 72" Bentz, 22' Box $55,950
Dan Tilley Freightliner/Sterling/Western Star of Knoxville. 800.241.0138 There is a huge difference in the cab of the Sterling. Very Quiet, Forget the wind noise on the FL 70. Very automotive like in cab. Come and see for yourself.:)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I know the Acterra is available with MB power as opposed to the CAT (I wouldn't buy a 3126 equipped truck), but is the Cummins ISB an engine option for it? Is a 9 speed Roadranger tranny available in them? Thanks, Weave

G

How does $54,950 sound for a NEW 2001 Sterling Acterra? 72" Bentz Sleeper, 275 Cat with Allison Auto. 22' Box with e track. D unit specs. Call me this will not last long. Dan Tilley 800.241.0138

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I MIGHT buy one with the MB engine and put up with the maint. costs for the Allison, (And whine about any problems on this forum) but I can't deal with the CAT engine..
Not at any price. What I look for is this in an expediter truck-
5 yr. financing, 5 yr. depreciation, 5 year 500k mile lifespan. The CAT motor is the $15K thing that doesn't fit the bill here.
-Weave-

G

I talked to Bentz today and they dont do them for the Acterra yet. Who knows maybe the dealer to the north could cut the top out and caulk one together.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Is that the "Shah of Iran" in Detroit who sells them, or Alumi-Junk in Canada who builds that infamous leak job you are referring to?
:7
-Weave-

G

Well you would have to have it built in Canada since those in Detroit are not a Sterling dealer. But you could get those in Detroit involved and raise the price about $8000.00. It helps the ecomony! Afterall this would not be the first time someone paid too much for a truck!