2000 Kenworth T-300

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
Wanting some comments on this truck motor for expediting?? 24ft Box

Cummings ISC 300, 300 HP Super 10 trans,just recent service. oil changed every 10,000 miles. Oil analysis also done on 7-13-05 all vitals are normal. 466,000 miles.

I know there are a lot of variables but when can I expect to have to do some major motor work??

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>
>I know there are a lot of variables but when can I expect to
>have to do some major motor work??

It could be the day after you actually buy it, or it could be the day after you sell it to someone else with 3X the current mileage on it.

Most likely, it will be somewhere between the two extremes.

I would find out (ask for maint. records) how often it's been serviced....what major repairs have been done (if any) to date....did the current owner buy the truck new....if not does he have records from the previous owner(s)....are the oil test results a continuation of tests done over the life of the truck or was a single test done to bolster the owners claims of condition, etc., etc.

If the unit has had good care since new, you may be able to easily double the current mileage.....then again......

Rex

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
Thanks Rex, looks like this truck has papers for oil changes every 10,000 miles and no major work on the engine. I guess i was trying to figure out what the average rebuild time of an engine like this was compared to some of the smaller expediter str8 truck engines.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Does the previous owner have any oil analysis records? You also may want to have the truck put on a chasis dyno to see where the performance is today. Maybe you could buy a warranty package to protect you...just a thought.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The other day on the Dave Nemo show someone called in to ask a question about his Cummins C. He had 1 million 120 thousand on it and it still used no oil. I also have a Cummins C,won't say the mileage as it will come back to haunt me but I also use no oil,do PM's every 10-12,000 and think it is a superb engine.

G

I have always heard good things about the ISC, with one notable exception. I was at the CAT shop getting some gaskets on my 3126 replaced and I was talking to the mechanic and he mentioned he had been a Cummins mechanic for a long time before coming to work at the CAT shop about 6 months before. I kept asking him doomsday questions about my 3126. Things like how many people were likely to be injured when my engine exploded and how fragile the 3126 is. He finally said something to the effect of "the 3126 is a fine engine; just keep clean oil in it." This made me feel better. Then he said "the engine you want to stay away from is the Cummins ISC; that engine is the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen." I was really surprised to hear him say this, which was clearly based upon his experience working on them.