2000 FL70, CAT 3126 TRANSMISSION SWAP

Givchik

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Good morning everyone! I am planning on swapping my 6 speed eaton to a 9,10, pr 13 speed one. Not much info on the upgrade online. Please help me to chose the best option, and also a part# for the tranny that you would advise.
After digging for several days, the only option i ve found is an eaton rtxf14609b, but not sure which one i need, one with internal oil pump, or without it. Please share the info about the other swapping options you know of. Have to pick a tranny before the holidays to drop my truck in the shop before i go home. Thank you very much for your help! Be safe everyone!

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Going from a 6 speed medium duty to a full size 9 or above is not a 'simple swap'. The transmissions have very different mounts, clutches and dimensions, including where the shifter comes through the floor. They also are significantly heavier.

It is doable....but it will be a lot of money and headaches. If 6 speeds isn't enough behind a 3126 9 or more isn't going to let you haul more or feel like you have more power. Find an FL 80 or 106 that has an 8.3 Cummins or something larger. It will likely have a 9 or more speed behind it.

Hotshotnewengland

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Good morning everyone! I am planning on swapping my 6 speed eaton to a 9,10, pr 13 speed one. Not much info on the upgrade online. Please help me to chose the best option, and also a part# for the tranny that you would advise.
After digging for several days, the only option i ve found is an eaton rtxf14609b, but not sure which one i need, one with internal oil pump, or without it. Please share the info about the other swapping options you know of. Have to pick a tranny before the holidays to drop my truck in the shop before i go home. Thank you very much for your help! Be safe everyone!
I own a 1998 FL70 and it has a swapped 13 speed in it. I bought it with the swap but my mechanic services it for me (just changed the clutch) and I'm sure he could do it for you. It's an old school 13 speed called RTO6613. Hope that helps. (It actually has 15 gears but Eaton Fuller calls it a 13 speed) T&T Repair in Everett MA on Garden St.