1st straight truck

morningwood

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
ok getting closer to buying my 1st expedite straight truck,have looked at many. all kinds of diffront sleepers,motors,sizes,transmissions,axles,box size,class 8,7, on and on ,then i came across this fraightliner fl70 with a 28' box with the sleeping quarters in the box.very nice set up low mile, priced right ,heat and air,insulated,tv, refridge,ect. it takes 5' of the box that leaves 23' for cargo. this could be a very comfortable set up nicer than factory sleepers.not sure of the curb weight and hauling cap.wt. but my questions are,could this be a dot approved sleeper. and will carriers hire a truck like this?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, it can be a DOT approved sleeper, but keep in mind that it turns the entire box into the cab, even when properly "securely compartmentalized from the remainder of the cargo space", which can make a difference if you haul HAZMAT as to what kinds of HAZMAT you can carry (no poisons, inhalation hazards, etc.). If you don't haul HAZMAT it's not an issue.

Here are the sleeper berth requirements (Sleeper berths. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration). Pay close attention to the access and exit requirements, as those can be the deal breaker on DOT approval.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I wonder how impractical it would be to cut the box into two seperate parts, at the five foot mark and install new bulkheads on each new opening ? Just for curiosities sakes.

jimmy

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I don't know. There may be structural integrity issues. I've never seen it done.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Check with a good body company. Hoffman in Louisville took a 2007 26' Morgan,cut it at the 6 foot mark,removed six feet and re-installed the nose. Body was on the ground and the cost was $1000. They did a beautiful job.