1998 FL70 Expediter Auto trans, a good truck?

MXTECH

Expert Expediter
I am currently in negotiations in buying a 1998 FL70 expediter auto transmission with 300,000 miles. Is there any issues with this truck? I can buy this truck fo 20K, 24ft box, no lift gate. Is the auto transmission dependable in these years? I am looking to convert the truck to a hauler for my suspension business at the race tracks. I will probably put 15K a year on it max.

I appreciate all the help.

John

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
If the truck you are looking at is a true Automatic, i.e. Allison trans, see if you can get the service records thru Freightliner or possibly owners records. The maintenance schedule for a Allison is very important. They need to be serviced at recommended intervals. This is crucial! If the trans is an Eaton Auto-stick you will want to make sure all the computer updates have been performed, and of course service is equally important. These records should also be available thru Freightliner. Good luck and keep us posted how it works for you.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi,
We have the allison HD 6 speed auto and love it. It is warrantied for 750,000. We have never had one problem with it. We had the synthetic fluid put in right after we got it and change it every 100,000. If you decide to change it out...if it hasn't been already, get your pocket book ready...the synthetic fluid is very expensive.

mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

apollo

Expert Expediter
What brand are you using? I use Amsoil in my personal cars and when I eventually get a truck I was going to use synthetic motor oil and trans fluid if I got an automatic.

Apollo