16ft box vs. 22ft box

gexcel500

Expert Expediter
This is directed to all straight truck drivers. Based on the vast experience on this forum, i am seeking opinions on the following. How does the amount of freight available to a truck with a 16ft box and can carry 13000lbs compare to a truck with a 22ft box with a higher gvw. In other words, what percentage of the freight that you carry could be carried in the 16ft box. Thank you for your help.

Get home safe this weekend and God bless you all, especially you vets.:D :D

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Probably about 85-90 % could go into the 16 foot box.Pretty rare to get a 22 footer filled up,but weight can be an issue with a 16 footer. Since you say you can carry 13,000 that should not be a problem but most of the major carriers will classify you as a C truck,thus you will get ahigh percentage of B loads.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>thus you will get ahigh percentage
>of B loads.

I have run a "C" truck for over 12 years,and have never had more than 10% "B" loads. This is not a high percentage.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Before ordering a truck of our own and deciding between a C-unit (12-foot box required by FedEx CC) and a D-unit (22-foot box required), we had driven D-units for over a year. Our freight analysis revealed that 7% of our loads were true D loads, either by size or weight or both.

Kindly note that such results will varry not only from carrier to carrier but even from driver to driver with the same carrier. Variables include team v. solo, reefer v. dry van, driver qualifications (security clearances, HAZMAT training and such), driver willingness to touch the freight (v. "no-touch"), and the kinds of runs drivers are willing to take.

For example if you have a reefer you will do more electronics and pharmacutical loads than you would if you had a dry van. Such loads tend to be smaller, lighter, and higher paying. New York City offers art loads if you are flagged to carry them and willing to drive in. Art loads tend to be small and light. If you are willing to do Canada runs, some of those will likely be automotive loads, which can be heavier. If your carrier does more fast freight (expedited general freight) than special-care freight (FedEx White-Glove, Panther Special Services), a larger truck may be for you.

Your carrier of choice should be able to tell you (or at least give a general idea) what their fleet averages are for their larger and smaller straight trucks, and for drivers with various credentials. That's a good question to put to a recruiter if you are talking one.

It's not just about the truck. Carrier choice, driver qualifications, load strategy, and business planning have much to do with the kind of freight you end up hauling and money you make.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Reddytruck I stand corrected. I made an assumption which I see was wrong.Thanks for correcting this.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Without going back through all my pro copies I couldn't tell you an exact number however I have had several loads that wouldn't fit in a shorter box. More importantly, out of 53 loads since 1/1, I have been paid less than D rate on 3 of them even though a large number of them were less than D loads. Unless I was going to have something like a 156" sleeper/motel I wouldn't go to a smaller box because it would have cost a dime a mile on 15571 miles so far this year. The situation was similar last year with 11043 miles that would have lost a dime a mile. In any event good luck to you with whatever choice you make.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
When running with major players none of my trucks carried loads that required all 22 feet of the boxes more than about 2 or 3% of the time. The job I am doing with one of my trucks now requires a 22 foot box about 80% of the time.

It is my opinion that if you can get 22foot you should have it. You have more capability. I have made a lot of extra money on weekends hauling junk mail which always calls for a full box. If I had a 16 foot truck I would never been able to do this.

By having the bigger box you have options when freight is slow, well more options. If you find your own loads during slow periods you are more likely to find those loads with a bigger box. e.g. two fork trucks, boxes from corragated manufacturer to end user. etc.

Good luck

Raceman
OTR O/O