16' Isuzu NPR Dry box

G

First, thank you to all for the very informative information (postings) on EO...

I'm seriously considering purchasing a 16'to 22' Isuzu NPR Dry box (straight truck)and easing into the expediting biz. I don't expect to make much during the first 3-6 months (Other than covering my costs and a little to live on (meagerly). I have expenses on hand to last me at least 6 months.

My question: Is it possible to make a living (netting approx 40-50k a year after learning the ropes) with this type of vehicle as an Owner Operator if I dedicate myself to this field of endevour.

Thank You

ihamner

Expert Expediter
2afreight, welcome to the forum. Good for you! This is where you will find answers to your questions about expediting. My answer to your question is strictly my opinion based on a few months experience in the business. I believe you can make a good living in this business - probably way over the amount you mentioned. However (you knew that was coming, huh?) you said something about easing into the business. We found that you have to dedicate yourself to the business to make any money. Once you get your truck and get your training you need to plan on staying on the road. You have to be available to be in the right areas to make runs when you get a call. Stay available and be willing to even take low paying runs right at first to learn about the business. This isn't a business you can ease into. Either you are an expeditor out on the road making money or you aren't. It is one of those occupations that you commit to from the first day on the road so you need to be sure before you buy your truck. Best of luck to you!

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
A shut mouth gathers no foot.

G

Thx IHammer,

Once the truck is purchased, I plan on doing just that (being available and ready to accept even undesireable loads at times).

I have many questions. I hope I don't sound like too much of a rookie:

1. I plan on getting both common carrier and common contract authority.
with 1 million liability and 100,00 cargo insurance. Will this be adequate? and are both authorities necessary?

2. Any suggestions as to which company I could get some guidance from and possibly a tentative offer (to drive/contract with) before purchasing the vehicle (I reside in the anaheim, Ca area).

(My worst nightmare is purchasing the vehicle and watching it sit and not make any $dough).

3. Skipping around a bit here but regarding sleeper birhts:
Is it even possible to rig an Isuzu NPR standard cab with a legal sleeper birth (possibly in the cargo area)?

If not, what alternatives (if any) do drivers of these vehicles have to get their Federally required rest/down time?

Thanks you,

2Afreight

targuard86

Expert Expediter
Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds to me like your wanting to operate under your own authority and not lease to a carrier. If that is the way you want to go you can do it but it is VERY difficult!!!! Being driver, sales person, compliance officer, dispatcher and mechanic will run you crasy. Be prepared to have at least 50% head and have some weeks where you don't move.

where you live makes a big difference also. If your in MI you might be able to find work but if your in FL you'll starve.

G

Thx and good point targuard86:

If I'm the O/O, Wouldn't I need to run under my own authority in order to put the vehicle on the road (I.E. obtain DOT#, provide proof of minimum liability/cargo insurance)?

Thx,
2A

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The first thing I'd suggest is reading back at least a year in the general, newbies and recruiter forums. You will gain a wealth of information as well as learn things you need to ask about but don't know yet to ask about. Why do you want to buy a local delivery truck and put it into distant over the road service? There are many trucks far better suited to expediting than that truck. I'd also suggest considering a D unit over a C unit. Purchase and operating expenses will not be that much higher. Revenue per mile should be greater. Load opportunities should be greater. With a D you can carry D,C,B and A unit loads. With a C you can only carry C,B and A unit loads. Again, do a LOT of reading in these forums and you will find many discussions on the topics you've mentioned.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.