06 m2 egr diagnost

mstrnspt

Seasoned Expediter
I got a 06 mbe 900 w/ 356,000 miles never had a single problem w/ the engine. (tranny diff. story) and the check engine light goes on and off. detroit dealer says its the egr. and about 1K to fix. does not use water. so i guess cooler isnt leaking. i told him i'll just move on thank you. is this a common problem w/ mbe 900? this is my second mbe 900 my other one was an 01 w/ 525,000 miles and never had a problem w/ it.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I would check other dealers for a second or even third or fourth opinion on the diagnosis before parting with a thousand dollars of hard earned cash.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Recently had the same problem with my '05 M2. Trouble code was faulty EGR coolant temp sensor (pretty sure it sits right atop the engine). Mechanic took part number to parts department, and they could not find it in their system. Took a little digging, but the geniuses at Mercedes have now determined that this sensor is redundant (no idea how), and their solution is to re-flash (reprogram) the computer; basically telling the ECM to ignore the sensor. Mechanic found the info on what I know as a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB), but they call the notice something else.

Cost me $237, and it was done at Freightliner in Ft. Worth. VERY comfortable having Clementine worked on there.

Hope I helped.

AJ

Darmstadter

Veteran Expediter
I've changed the EGR valve and solenoid on my wife's car and it was a piece of cake. They were both right up on top and pretty easy to get at. Repair shop wanted $250 just to do the EGR valve. Picked up the valve up for $60 and the solednoid for $20 at a parts store. Never tried it on a truck though.

I'd definitely get another quote or two on it--especially if it's a redundant code.

Good luck!