Expediting in Texas

SilverbugTex

New Recruit
Researching
US Marines
Hi everyone, I’m a new to the field and am considering getting into expediting by purchasing a new truck sometime soon. This job will my secondary source of income and I’m only open to driving solo as an O/O. I’m married and have children and am aware that being away is the norm for most folks who rely on this profession as their primary source of income. I’m interested in this opportunity for the freedom it offers and the level of comfort that is achieved by owning a fully equipped sleeper truck since I have a family that will likely join me on an adventure or two. I’d like to know if Texas is a good location to be in as an expeditor since I live in Austin. Just want to see if staying near home is a realistic possibility in order to return home within a reasonable time as I please. Would also like to know if there are expeditors who actually return home on a weekly basis as a solo O/O and what one could expect their weekly net income to be with such a schedule. Would appreciate any info. TIA

FlyingTortoise

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
The more you are restricted the less income you will generate is the basic rule of thumb.
In my experience, the guys that try to go home every weekend make significantly less than the others.

SilverbugTex

New Recruit
Researching
US Marines
The more you are restricted the less income you will generate is the basic rule of thumb.
In my experience, the guys that try to go home every weekend make significantly less than the others.
Yes I understand that. I would however be content with the freedom allowed while generating less at this particular stage of life. I’m just not clear on what is a realistic net income or if working strictly in Texas is feasible. As you probably know, Texas is quite large and covers a lot of territory. This venture will not be my primary source of income so maximizing income is not the primary objective at this point. Perhaps if I can convince my wife to join me then we’d switch gears.

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes I understand that. I would however be content with the freedom allowed while generating less at this particular stage of life. I’m just not clear on what is a realistic net income or if working strictly in Texas is feasible. As you probably know, Texas is quite large and covers a lot of territory. This venture will not be my primary source of income so maximizing income is not the primary objective at this point. Perhaps if I can convince my wife to join me then we’d switch gears.
Most expediting is over the road, away from home for a period of time.
It sounds to me you would be better suited looking for a same day delivery service, or even a courier service.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm in Houston. Over a decade plus I worked with Panther, Landstar and FedEx Custom Critical. I VERY rarely got jobs within Texas although not totally absent. Very rare though. And once out it could be weeks before a job came back to Texas close enough to get home. Not a job I would suggest for someone with children as they need parents around not gone for extended periods.

SilverbugTex

New Recruit
Researching
US Marines
I'm in Houston. Over a decade plus I worked with Panther, Landstar and FedEx Custom Critical. I VERY rarely got jobs within Texas although not totally absent. Very rare though. And once out it could be weeks before a job came back to Texas close enough to get home. Not a job I would suggest for someone with children as they need parents around not gone for extended periods.
I see. I was under the impression that this would be possible in Texas. Is local freight in a van not worth it in your market?

SilverbugTex

New Recruit
Researching
US Marines
Most expediting is over the road, away from home for a period of time.
It sounds to me you would be better suited looking for a same day delivery service, or even a courier service.
You might be right about that. The initial investment is much lower as well. What is most important to me is having a completely independent way of making a living on my own terms. I wonder how well it would go for me around the Austin area if I was to go the van route. There’s lots of work here. Perhaps even a dump truck?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What is most important to me is having a completely independent way of making a living on my own terms.
Don't go into this thinking you're free to work whenever you want.
You have to be available whenever freight needs to be moved. Even if that's not on your terms.

Turn down enough loads, the phone stops ringing.

Reactions: Bigmoe

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
The van (under10k door tag) would mean your not bound by hours of service and can go home if there is a emergency or you need to be home for a doctor's appointment......hard to do that in a straight truck.

Reactions: Bigmoe

FlyingTortoise

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
The trucking business is just so expensive with fees coming at you from all sides, if you are not driving "enough" it is just not worth it.
Even in Cargo/Sprinter vans, if you don't keep moving you just will not make money.

ExperienceIsAwesome

New Recruit
Driver
I get what you want and it is able to be done but your going to have to knock on doors until you can find a business that will give you a contract to haul their freight as needed.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I get what you want and it is able to be done but your going to have to knock on doors until you can find a business that will give you a contract to haul their freight as needed.
Your better off with a reputable carrier like load one or landstar or even xpo.....you will at least not have to chase freight or chase the pay.

ExperienceIsAwesome

New Recruit
Driver
Jeez Danthewolf I was just commenting on original post and I know a couple running loads they contracted with a company for 5 dollars a mile and can go home when they want and you try to shut me down saying 40 50 or maybe 60 cpm big companies pay is better????

• Haha
Reactions: danthewolf00

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Jeez Danthewolf I was just commenting on original post and I know a couple running loads they contracted with a company for 5 dollars a mile and can go home when they want and you try to shut me down saying 40 50 or maybe 60 cpm big companies pay is better????
I've got a bridge I need to sell to anyone paying $5 a mile to a van. That's really lucky for your friends.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
5 dollars a mile lol.......that is what brokers might get paid.....or for very short mileage loads.
50 to 60 cpm is good driver pay but not for owner operator pay.....owner op pay is .90 a mile or better depending on what is being used to haul the load.

Reactions: Ragman

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wow! 5 bucks a mile!
I don't think so. Even us out and back/same day delivery guys didn't get 5 a mile.

Like danthewolf00 said, maybe the broker got five, but not the truck.

Reactions: danthewolf00