• Reefer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Van Truck

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Heartsick

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello, so im incredibly new to the forum and the world essentially of load boards/expediting as ive always worked for a company for delivering. i have a question that i assume borders on silly as it may be more restrictive in my option.

i had been debating a cargo van for a while which may still end up being my way to wet my toes but i wanted to ask all of you if it may be worth it to go toward 22ft flat bed? or a 22ft reefer van just as the reefer van may leave me with more options open for loads, thank you all in advance for any insight, this would all be under CDL so up to 26,000 gvwr.

TL:DR would a cargo van still be better to get my toes wet or just jump all the way in with a 22ft flatbed or reefer to run heavier loads.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Sprinterish cargovan
You want 3 skid and 3k load limit.....and you should start with some company like bolt or xpo

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Check your tire load limit never ever go over that limit. There is a reason for a door tag weight limit......tire or break failure are the 2 main reasons.

Heartsick

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Sprinterish cargovan
You want 3 skid and 3k load limit.....and you should start with some company like bolt or xpo
so would you yay or nay like a express 3/4 or 1 ton extended? i have some brand loyalty i suppose to GM but im my most experienced with how the GM platform is and the 6.0 or new 6.6 gassers are from my previous time running non cdl flatbed for a different company

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Anything 10,001LBS or above is CDL, logbooks, etc. I ran a 40' straight truck for several years and then went to a Chev. G3500. I liked the van for not having to run logs and not having to ever consider clearance issues. If I were to go out again I'd be in a Ford Transit tall and long with the GVW as close to 10k as I could get.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Do not go diesel in a cargovan because you lose weight to the emissions equipment.
You want a 3500 because of the weight limit and it has to have a door sticker of under 10k.
So you want
3 skid
3000 pound weight limit or close to that.
So weight the van with a full tank and all your personal gear and you then subtract that from the door sticker that will be your weight limit.

Heartsick

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Anything 10,001LBS or above is CDL, logbooks, etc. I ran a 40' straight truck for several years and then went to a Chev. G3500. I liked the van for not having to run logs and not having to ever consider clearance issues. If I were to go out again I'd be in a Ford Transit tall and long with the GVW as close to 10k as I could get.
thats news to me, i had always known anything over 26,001 lbs to be into Class B CDL territory, which im licensed up to that threshold, im gonna have to take another look into licensing limits but i would enjoy that also of no logs and kinda being able to just cruise about relatively unhindered

Ranked for repairs.
1. Ford transit
2. Dodge promaster
3. Standard chevy cargovan
4. Mercedes Benz sprinter
ill assume this is least to most amount of repairs/least to most problematic?

also good to know about the diesel engines taking away from payload

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Unless something has changed in the decade since I retired 10,001 and above requires a CDL license and logbook and above 26,000 requires air brakes.