How many hours should I drive straight through?

Green expeditor

New Recruit
Driver
Hello all, I'm new to expediting and I have a question for the public. Is it normal to be expected to drive 13, 14 and 15hrs straight through? I'm a solo driver and my dispatch mainly gets me loads that requires me to drive straight through at mainly 12 or more hrs. Is this normal bc I thought I could get plenty of short loads too?

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Well what are you driving?
Hello all, I'm new to expediting and I have a question for the public. Is it normal to be expected to drive 13, 14 and 15hrs straight through? I'm a solo driver and my dispatch mainly gets me loads that requires me to drive straight through at mainly 12 or more hrs. Is this normal bc I thought I could get plenty of short loads too?well

PaidPerMile

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
sounds like you don't want to be over the road but dospatch has other plans for you. I'd change dispatch or tell them how far you max out at. If you make it far they will send you and guess what you won't have time for another load until its a new day.

Green expeditor

New Recruit
Driver
Well what are you driving?
I am driving a small box truck not held to dot standards. It's a expediting company and they keep trying to give me loads that are 12 or more hours non stop driving other than to get gas. Is this normal bc I can't drive more than 9 or 10hrs before I fall asleep

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I am driving a small box truck not held to dot standards. It's a expediting company and they keep trying to give me loads that are 12 or more hours non stop driving other than to get gas. Is this normal bc I can't drive more than 9 or 10hrs before I fall asleep
Then tell them you have a personal range limit for loads.

rjrhiway

New Recruit
Driver
Save yourself and others, demand a higher rate and rest time, or make them come with you and you will find out who the good dispatchers and brokers are. Leave cheap alone or else you will pay the bad consequences we all dread.