Sprinter 2500 - trying to determine the size and type

patryk

New Recruit
Dispatcher
Hello. My friend member purchased a 2020 Sprinter 2500 and he asked me to help him with the dispatching. He provided the cargo space measurements as 100"x52"x71" and said that it is a two pallet cargo van. I am not finding these measurements on any website. I am trying to get him signed up for load board but I am not seeing these dimensions as standard to choose from. He is not sure what category he falls under - Hotshot, Dry Van 48" or 53" or other.

Also, he states that his payload is 2500lbs, however upon googling it, looks like the vehicles base weight is 4806lbs so he still has 5193lbs to stay below 9999lbs.

Could you please help me determine what equipment type will this be?

Last edited:

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Ok hes a cargo van not a 53 foot or 48 foot trailer nor is he a hotshot.
He needs to take the van to a truck scale and get it weight with just him and his gear and a full tank of fuel then take that number and subtract it from the door tag. That will then give his legal weight limit.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
His vehicle can't be loaded to 9999lbs. The max capacity for 2500 series is, I believe, 8500lbs. You also can't go by base weight. You have to weigh the van with the fuel tank completely full, all the driver's belongings they will take with them on the road, food, clothing, books, hobby, everything plus the driver sitting in the driver seat. Then you add 100 pounds for fudge factor and subtract that number from the GVW on the plate inside the driver's door. That's the amount that can be legally carried. No offense, but to be brutally frank, it appears you need to study and learn a lot to be ready to pursue this career.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
The basic information on the van can be different depending on what options that the van has. Is it gas or diesel? Diesel engines weight more because of the epa (bluetech) exhaust equipment added.
Also if he just makes a 30 inch wide bed right behind the seats he might be able to fit 3 skids which gives him better chances for loads.
And never ever run loads that weight more than the legal limit because the dot will fine him for each pound over his door tag.

patryk

New Recruit
Dispatcher
Thank you for the info. I got a little more into the information and see how stupid my question was. Thank you for your help!

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
His vehicle can't be loaded to 9999lbs. The max capacity for 2500 series is, I believe, 8500lbs. You also can't go by base weight. You have to weigh the van with the fuel tank completely full, all the driver's belongings they will take with them on the road, food, clothing, books, hobby, everything plus the driver sitting in the driver seat. Then you add 100 pounds for fudge factor and subtract that number from the GVW on the plate inside the driver's door. That's the amount that can be legally carried. No offense, but to be brutally frank, it appears you need to study and learn a lot to be ready to pursue this career.
Very well said. So many are so clueless. I once had to educate a Firestone dealer, as they said my van weighed 9,600#, too heavy for their lift, they claimed. That is my GVWR on the factory door tag.. smh..I left there, never to come back, as they argued with me over this. I went to a different Firestone dealership for my Bridgestones.

DEBO19

New Recruit
Owner/Operator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why so negative they just asked a question
I don't believe "so negative" is an accurate descriptor. I responded providing a number of informational points and then suggested a need for more knowledge before diving in. So many people seem to think all there is to expediting is having the keys to a vehicle and a roadmap or two. That's why more than 100% fail/quit every year.