does anyone know if there are any other engine problems with a Hino 338 after a gasket job has been performed like lower part of engine blowing out

Hino/Owner Operator

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
does anyone know if there are any other engine problems with a 2013
Hino 338/w 493,000 miles after a gasket job has been performed like lower part of engine blowing out
I'm being advised to do a over haul instead of just the gasket job up until now the Truck has been operating
real good not burning any oil just in general should I expect a real problem after the head gasket job only

Malamute662

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've heard hino's will last to around 600,000 mi. If not burning oil I would just go with gasket and see how many miles u can get out of it. If the gasket is not leaking bad and oil and coolant is not mixing without overheating I would just keep an eye on fluids.

Reactions: Hino/Owner Operator

Hino/Owner Operator

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the reply Im gonna go with the top end overhaul headgasket water pump valve shelves I got 494,000 on it it runs good other than the exhaust blowing into coolant doesn't use oil and no mixing of fluids Im praying that this will be it at least for a years time go buy

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Replace all 6 injector cups. They cause 75% of the pushing coolant issues I see. If you have the head off you would be crazy not to. It’s $50 per cup, 6 extra o-rings and maybe an hours worth of labor. I have worked on Hinos with up to 900k miles on them. Seen a ton over 600k and half the rollbacks in Florida have over a half a million on em ;) I just did one last week. I’m in the rust belt so I have to deal with broken bolts and rust but I usually quote 25-30 depending on how it comes apart. Just so you have a reference. They may include injector cup replacement with the head job. Make sure to check. Good luck.

Reactions: Sutton

Hino/Owner Operator

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Replace all 6 injector cups. They cause 75% of the pushing coolant issues I see. If you have the head off you would be crazy not to. It’s $50 per cup, 6 extra o-rings and maybe an hours worth of labor. I have worked on Hinos with up to 900k miles on them. Seen a ton over 600k and half the rollbacks in Florida have over a half a million on em ;) I just did one last week. I’m in the rust belt so I have to deal with broken bolts and rust but I usually quote 25-30 depending on how it comes apart. Just so you have a reference. They may include injector cup replacement with the head job. Make sure to check. Good luck.
Yes sir I am having the cups replaced as well as the water pump and thermostat hopefully Ill be good to get that 900.000 mile milestone if not my goose is Cooked with this truck