Mass shooting du jour

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As NdGT so ably proves, 81% of all "statistics and facts" are made up on the fly.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
700 auto deaths in Tn or there abouts each year, no national attention and most are just going out like folks at that Walmart...yes its not the same, but really, a lot of good folks die yearly by autos and cars are suppose to be safe....at least thats what they tell us....

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
700 auto deaths in Tn or there abouts each year, no national attention and most are just going out like folks at that Walmart...yes its not the same, but really, a lot of good folks die yearly by autos and cars are suppose to be safe....at least thats what they tell us....

Has the auto industry tried to make cars safer over the years? Seat belts, crumple zones, air bags, etc ....

How about the firearms industry? There's so much that can be done to make their industry safer, is there not?

As a country we should be able to do better rather than ... "It is what it is .." o_O

Reactions: Ragman

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The mental wackos will always be with us, if not guns then knives and baseball bats will take over....

Status quo ..... Thanks for the innovative ideas.

If reports are true, the Dayton police stopped that wacko within 30-40 seconds. He killed 9 people. You wanna tell me that's happening with a baseball bat? How about the other tragedies?

We NEED to do better!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, we absolutely MUST blame and penalize the MILLIONS of people who do nothing wrong for the actions of the handfuls who do. We MUST do that across the board and across society. Effective immediately we MUST ban and confiscate all guns. AND we MUST ban and confiscate all alcohol because more people die as a result of alcohol abuse than firearms abuse. AND we MUST ban and confiscate all motor vehicles because more people die as a result of motor vehicle abuse than firearms abuse. AND we MUST ban all medical doctors as exponentially more people die from malpractice than firearms abuse. ALL these things must be banned. Or none. Take your pick. Then go back to your corners and be quiet.

Reactions: Moot

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, we absolutely MUST blame and penalize the MILLIONS of people who do nothing wrong for the actions of the handfuls who do. We MUST do that across the board and across society. Effective immediately we MUST ban and confiscate all guns. AND we MUST ban and confiscate all alcohol because more people die as a result of alcohol abuse than firearms abuse. AND we MUST ban and confiscate all motor vehicles because more people die as a result of motor vehicle abuse than firearms abuse. AND we MUST ban all medical doctors as exponentially more people die from malpractice than firearms abuse. ALL these things must be banned. Or none. Take your pick. Then go back to your corners and be quiet.
A bit grumpy today, are we?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Everything is NOT a binary choice. Binary choices are for people that rather stick their heads in the sand than make things better.

You didn't answer my previous questions. Are there other industries that have made their products safer? Why not the firearms industry? There isn't any technology or better practices that can minimize the number of people being killed?

Another status quo opinion. If you don't have any original ideas, just say so ..

Reactions: Ragman

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You didn't answer my previous questions. Are there other industries that have made their products safer? Why not the firearms industry?
The firearms industry has made many strides in making firearms safer. They have trigger guards, and rubberized grips, safety switches to prevent a gun from even firing. And there was a time when the gun would literally blow up in your face when you pulled thy trigger.

There isn't any technology or better practices that can minimize the number of people being killed?
Oh, you mean a safer deadly weapon! A less-lethal lethal weapon. No, not really.

They essentially don't have guns in public hands in the UK. So, the public uses knives, instead. Now they've literally outlawed kitchen cutlery.

The weapon of choice for mass killings in Sweden is the hand grenade (and increasingly, general explosives). You can buy stuff to make explosives at Walmart, by the way.

The US is trying to say guns are the problem. The UK is trying to say knives are the problem. Sweden is trying to say grenades are the problem. The thing is, every one of those things are exactly the same in that they are not the problem, but rather a symptom of the problem.

There are literally more guns in America than there are people, yet only 0.00013 percent of those guns have ever been used to shoot at another person. Clearly, the guns aren't the problem.

I don't know what the solution is, but I think it's going to have about 30 different factors involved to solve it. Banning high capacity magazines may help in some small insignificant way. Universal background checks may help in some small insignificant way. Those are band-aids. And we know, unambiguously, because we've been there done that, that banning assault weapons will have zero impact on crime and mass shootings, so if that's done it'll be solely a meaningless feel-good measure.

Taking a Sharpie and redacting the Second Amendment from the Constitution won't work because you can buy knives and bomb ingredients at Walmart. Plus, any wild animal will fight to protect themselves, their family and their property, I don't know why some people think humans shouldn't have the same natural rights as any other random animal.

You have to be very careful when you start taking natural human rights away from people.

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To those who still use the "term" Assault Rifle ... there is No such name or type of rifle.
It's a made up name by the uneducated ( Mainly the Media )FB_IMG_1565194057809.jpeg

" LOAD 1 "

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
To those who still use the "term" Assault Rifle ... there is No such name or type of rifle.
Of course there is. I know that because I have an Assault #2 Pencil.

I also have an Assault Milkshake, an Assault Shoe, and an Assault Sense of Humor.

Reactions: Grizzly

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pondering thought on the El Paso Walmart shooting...

I've always heard how Texas has so many people that carry guns. Why didn't someone in the store take out the gunman?
Are guns not allowed in the store? I didn't hear about anyone taking action other then running. But I may be wrong.

Either way, Walmart has a solution to prevent another incident...

Walmart removing violent video game displays, signs from stores but still selling guns

Reactions: ntimevan and Ragman

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
First rule of committing a mass shooting is to pick a place that would have big crowds and little resistance. The Oregon district would have big crowds but also lots of police. Since this guys sister was one of the victims, there is more than this story than just another moron who wanted to kill a bunch of people.

If the police wouldn’t have taken him down as quickly as they did, one can only imagine how many people would have been killed with how much ammo he had.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Pondering thought on the El Paso Walmart shooting...

I've always heard how Texas has so many people that carry guns. Why didn't someone in the store take out the gunman?
Are guns not allowed in the store? I didn't hear about anyone taking action other then running. But I may be wrong.

Either way, Walmart has a solution to prevent another incident...

Walmart removing violent video game displays, signs from stores but still selling guns

If this would have happened in a more rural area of Texas there would have been citizens with guns in the store but being in El Paso, probably not.

There were 6 Mexican citizens killed in that store which prompted Mexico to file for extradition so they can prosecute him, I say hell yes, let this idiot suffer in a Mexican prison!!!

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had a little discussion with the shipper fellow at my delivery. He said you wouldn't see what happened in El Paso happen in Detroit. He said because too many people pack'in.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had a little discussion with the shipper fellow at my delivery. He said you wouldn't see what happened in El Paso happen in Detroit. He said because too many people pack'in.

True but the question is how many of them are legally carrying a gun?

Reactions: ntimevan

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
People are carrying more in Chattanooga. Saturday morning at Academy Sports n Cabellas and Bass Pro Shop will be well attended