Overflow from other Carriers

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
Hello

I have been expediting for about 7 months with a small company that has about 15 vans. I notice that most of the loads I run have a different company name on the invoice. Usually a large carrier like XPO or Panther or something like that. I realize that this is overflow work that these large carriers give to us when they don't have enough drivers available.

My question is, am I better off working for one of these large carriers than I am with this current small company? Because my thought is that I'm just sort of picking up the cheap scraps. Am I wrong in assuming that my current situation is providing me with less loads at a lower rate?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where does Your Current Carrier get Loads from if there are No Scrap loads ? If they have No Customers of their own , what happens when the Scraps from other Companies dries up . Just my thoughts..

" LOAD 1 "

Fisherman

Active Expediter
Driver
Where does Your Current Carrier get Loads from if there are No Scrap loads ? If they have No Customers of their own , what happens when the Scraps from other Companies dries up . Just my thoughts..

" LOAD 1 "

Well, I usually just sit and wait when that happens.

Don't get me wrong, we do have some of our own customers. But I would say that about 80% of the loads I take are overflow from large carriers.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you are making an exceptable amount of money, why change?

The grass isn't greener.........

I think he's wondering if he can make more money? It's a fair question ...

At this point, I think your best bet is still with a large carrier. There could be opportunities with smaller companies but it has to be the right set of circumstance ... and you have to be really savvy.

Last edited:

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have a XPO load on your van, you pull in to fuel up, and a XPO van is sitting in a parking spot, waiting on a load, it’s best to not to make eye contact.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have a XPO load on your van, you pull in to fuel up, and a XPO van is sitting in a parking spot, waiting on a load, it’s best to not to make eye contact.

I normally give 'em a wink ...
Heck , I am not afraid to walk over and tell them to thank their Dispatch team for me . ..

" LOAD 1 "

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello

I have been expediting for about 7 months with a small company that has about 15 vans. I notice that most of the loads I run have a different company name on the invoice. Usually a large carrier like XPO or Panther or something like that. I realize that this is overflow work that these large carriers give to us when they don't have enough drivers available.

My question is, am I better off working for one of these large carriers than I am with this current small company? Because my thought is that I'm just sort of picking up the cheap scraps. Am I wrong in assuming that my current situation is providing me with less loads at a lower rate?

The simple answer to your question is most likely yes. However, only you can compare your numbers and cost to know for sure. If your paying higher insurance on your own, you may have to consider how many extra "scrap loads" you have to run each month just to pay that bill. Most likely, larger carriers can offer insurance at a fraction of your cost (assuming your properly insured already), among other benefits.

Larger is not always better, but something to consider and check out.